Time to make: 20 minutes
Why make this recipe?
- Unique from the usual dosa chutneys. Another tasty one is Garlic Tomato Chutney or Green Coconut Chutney.
- Create something new – use it to make a sandwich
- Veggie loaded – great way to sneak in carrots
- Vegetarian and vegan
- Easy to make
Notes on Ingredients
- Onions – this recipe uses onions which gives a bit of spice. If you do not want, you can definitely skip.
- Urad dal and chana dal – these are needed to help thicken the chutney and also adds in protein!
- Red chillies – don’t skip! This gives the heat.
- No Garlic – There is no garlic in this carrot chutney recipe. If you like the flavor, I would add in 2 cloves of garlic.
- No Coconut – I have not used coconut in this chutney, but you could add some. You will have to adjust the amount of water as dessicated coconut absorbs a great deal of water.
- Carrot tops – This is a great way to use up carrot tops to reduce waste!
Making Carrot Chutney Recipe
The last step is the tadka which is poured on top and mixed!
Type of blender for Chutneys
I use a blender jar from India that works with my blender base at home that my Mom got. The brand is Vimal. Vitamix is a great option as well.
Try It? Leave A Review, Love To Hear Feedback! Or Tag Me On Instagram @Some_indian_girl
Carrot Chutney Recipe
- 1¼ cup chopped carrots 3 medium carrots, about 180 g
- ¼ cup chopped onion small onion, about 40 g
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp mustard seeds rai
- 5 curry leaves
- Add pan to stove and 1 tsp oil on medium heat. Add chana dal. Mix and cook for 2 minutes. Add urad dal and mix. Once beggining to brown add in the dried red chillies. Turn off gas.
- Add roasted urad/chana dal and red chillies to a small bowl with 6 tbsp water.
- Meanwhile, using same pan add carrots and onions to pan. Cook for about 4 minutes and beginning to soften.
- Add all ingredients to blender.
- Blend into a paste. Add more water 1 tbsp at a time if you would like a thinner consistency.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp of oil on gas on medium-high. Once hot add mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, reduce the heat to low. Add in curry leaves, mix and turn off gas. Pour tadka on top of blended carrot chutney paste. Mix and serve.