Active time: 10 minutes Freezing time: 6-8 hours
Indian ice cream flavors have a delicious unique taste and this kesar pista ice cream (saffron pistachio ice cream) is a very popular flavor! It is a favorite flavor in my family and I have also made Kesar Pista Kulfi, Kesar Pista Cupcakes, Kesar Pista Milk Cake. So, it was only some time before this recipe went up!
- This recipe needs minimal active time
- Vegetarian and eggless
- No churn recipe so no ice cream maker needed
Key Ingredient Notes
You only need a handful of ingredients to make kesar pista ice cream!
- Heavy whipping cream and condensed milk are your prime ingredietns
- Pistachios – add as many as you like. Suggest chopping or even roasting to deepen the flavor.
Tips on making the ice cream
Whipping the heavy cream: keep the heavy cream in the coldest part of your fridge. Take it out when you are ready to use it so it stays cold.
Also, it helps to to use a cold bowl and cold whisk when whipping the heavy cream. If possible, keep it in the fridge before using.
Don’t over mix the ice cream mixture: You whip the heavy cream to give lift to the ice cream mixture. So, try to gently fold in the condensed milk and other ingredients. Mixing lightly with a spoon.
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
Kesar Pista Ice Cream
- Freezer safe container
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 14 oz condensed milk
- 3 tbsp pistaschios chopped
- ¾ tsp cardamom ground
- ½ tsp saffron
- 2 tbsp milk
- pinch salt
- Crush saffron and put in warm milk to bloom.
- Mix condensed milk, pistachios, cardamom in a bowl. Last, whisk in the bloomed saffron. Set aside.
- Take heavy cream out of fridge. Whisk heavy cream until stiff peaks form. In a Kitchenaid mixer, it takes only about 3 minutes. You will have a big bowl of whipped cream. Gently, fold in the condensed milk mixture and mix with a spoon to combine. Don't mix too roughly as that takes the air out of the whipped cream.
- Pour into freezer safe container. Freeze for minimum of 6 hours. 8 hours or overnight is ideal as freezer temperature may vary.
- Serve and garnish with additional pistachios.