Homemade and quick coriander chutney or cilantro chutney that is so versatile. This bright green Indian chutney is for sandwiches, samosas, chaats, pakora, dhokla and so much more! Read on to see how to get and keep the bright green color of the chutney.
Time to make: 10 Minutes
Vegetarian and vegan
Although the flavors of chutney are endless, this green coriander chutney is absolutely essential to so many Indian dishes. Luckily it is very easy to make with minimal work. I highly recommend making it in a big batch a freezing some for later!
- Versatile – you can use either peanuts or coconut to thicken the chutney
- Savory – adds depth to dishes and tastes amazing
- Long lasting – you can make it ahead of time for parties or even for yourself by storing or freezing
Cilantro Chutney Ingredient Notes
Peanuts – for those looking for a cilantro chutney without coconut this can be made peanuts. If you do not want peanuts desiccated coconut can be used.
Cilantro – Was the cilantro prior to use. I keep the stalks to reduce waste, but if you prefer you can use leaves only.
How do I Get the Bright Green Chutney Color?
Tip: The key to getting the bright green color of the chutney is adding ice cubes and/or ice cold water to the ingredients when blending. The blender motor tends to get heated which causes oxidizing of the green cilantro. It’s a simple trick but it works!
Making the Chutney
- Wash cilantro
- Cut the ginger into 1 inch chunks
- Cut the pepper in half
- Juice a lemon
How to thicken Coriander Chutney?
Thick coriander chutney with peanuts, desiccated coconut or roasted chana dal (dalia or roasted bengal gram).
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
10 Minute Indian Cilantro (Coriander) Chutney Recipe – (Chutney for samosas, sandwiches etc)
- 2 cup cilantro packed, washed, roughly choped
- 2 green chillies chopped in half
- 2 inch ginger peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ cup raw peanuts or dahlia or dessicated coconut
- 4 ice cubes or 1/4 cup chilled water
- Gather and prepare ingredients
- Add ingredients to blender and blend.
- Add water to adjust to preference of thickness of chutney. Depending on the dish the preference may change. Serve