Instant garlic chutney, also known as Gujarati lasan ni chutney or lasun ki chutney is a spicy garlic chutney. No cooking is needed and it is ready in 5 minutes. It is a key component to add heat to many Indian dishes. It is a great dabeli chutney and also in chaats, shaaks, khichdi or even dals. You will find it most often in street foods.
Time to make: 5 minutes
Vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free
Garlic chutney is one of the three main chutneys my Mom always had on hand at home. It was either ready made in the fridge or frozen. Three chutneys were Apple Butter Chutney, Coriander Chutney and this is the third. The combination of these three are key to many popular Indian dishes such as pani puri, chaats, dabeli, vada pav among many others.
Garlic chutney is:
- Packs HUGE flavor – a little goes a long way and it adds depth of flavor to your dish
- Made with minimal prep – it is just garlic and a few spices blended together
- Easy to make ahead – in a few minutes it is ready and can be stored for serving later
Making the chutney
This is such a simple recipe!
- Just add garlic cloves, spices and water.
- Blend and check consistency.
- If you prefer the chutney a little thicker, add a tablespoon of water at a time and mix.
- Repeat until you get the consistency you prefer.
I prefer it a little thicker for dabeli or sandwiches. For chaats, I like it a little thinner so it mixes easily.
Storing the Chutney
- Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated.
- It should last 3 weeks.
Freezing Garlic Chutney
- Store in a freezer safe container or zip lock bag. Keep 4-6 months in freezer.
- Remember to defrost before using.
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
5 Minute Garlic Chutney (Lasan ni Chutney)
- 25 cloves garlic 75g
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp red chilli powder lal mirch
- 1 tsp cumin powder jeera powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- Add all ingredients to a blender jar.
- Blend ingredients until smooth paste forms. Adjust amount of water to make as thick/liquidy as you like your chutney.
- Serve and enjoy this spicy chutney