My favorite to pair this with is Paneer Momos!
This is a vegetarian recipe, as are all recipes on my blog.
- Easy to make – three steps
- Flavorful with tomatoes and garlic to use as a dip for momos
- Tasty and spicy (but can be adjusted to your preference of heat)
- Vegan and vegetarian
Tips on Ingredients
- Dried Chillies – Traditionally, dried Sichuan chillies are used. If you do not have them on hand use dried red chillies, they work great.
- Tomatoes – I use canned crushed tomatoes to reduce the cooking time. If you do not have, you can replace with two small-medium cut tomatoes. Ensure they are cooked down and remove the skin if you would like a smoother chutney.
- Onions: I have used spring onions but you can substitute with the type of onion you have at home. Keep it simple!
- Lemon juice – I use lemon juice which is added at the end of the process. There is no vinegar needed for this momo chutney.
- Soy sauce – As momos, are known as an Indian – Chinese street food I have used soy sauce to give some depth of flavor.
Making The Chutney
This is a very easy process:
- Saute ginger, garlic, onions and red chillies
- Mix in crushed tomatoes and spices and cook
- Blend to form smooth paste
Serve with paneer momos as an appetizer and some Chilli Paneer Noodles as a main course!
Try It? Leave A Review, Love To Hear Feedback! Or Tag Me On Instagram @Some_indian_girl
Momo Chutney Recipe
- small pan
- ¾ cup crushed tomatoes (canned) 2 medium tomatoes (fresh)
- 1 tsp oil
- 4-5 dried red chillies Use sichuan if available, that is traditional. Remove seeds if want less spicy.
- 1 tsp garlic crushed
- 1 tsp ginger finely shredded
- 2 tsp spring onion greens, chopped (about 1.5 stalks)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Heat pan on stove on medium- high. Add oil to pan, once heated add garlic and ginger. Cook and mix 1 minute. Add onions cook another minute.
- Add dried red chilies and mix to coat.
- Add crushed tomatoes, water, salt, sugar and soy sauce. Mix and let cook 3-4 minutes until it thickens. Turn off gas, add lemon juice and mix.
- Let cool and blend into a smooth chutney.