Active time to make: 20-30 minutes (dependent on quantity)
This milk barfi recipe is perfect to make for holiday or when last minute guests come over as it is:
- Easy to make in under 30 mins
- Uses 5 pantry ingredients
- Vegetarian and gluten-free
With some patience it is easy to get this white barfi color and slight crumble yet melt in your mouth texture, just like at the halwai shop!
What is milk Powder burfi made of?
- Whole milk powder – this recipe requires whole milk powder. If you use skim milk powder you will need extra cream, I do not have a recipe for that at the moment.
- Cardamom powder
- Chopped mix nuts for garnish
Tips for making and getting the white color Barfi
- Cook on low flame
- Mix milk powder and milk before adding to pan to reduce lumps
- Use a whisk to help incorporate well
- Give it time to dry! This is key to getting the right texture
Giving barfi mixture time to dry is important. If you want to serve it quickly you can put it in the fridge so it cools quick. But leaving it out to dry and covered gives it a great texture.
Using this recipe which makes 6 pieces, you can double/triple etc. it to fit the needs of your party. Using this milk barfi base recipe you can add in so many flavors it is honestly endless.
A few other ideas include, ground roasted almonds or pistachios, chocolate or even saffron. Get creative!
How to store
Store in an airtight container. Out on counter for about a week. In the fridge it will be good for about two weeks.
How to make milk barfi without milk powder
You have a few options. To make milk barfi without milk powder you can use condensed milk or the traditional method of using khoya or using full fat milk. If you want a condensed milk barfi, my Cookies and Cream Burfi uses this method.
How to make milk barfi in the microwave
You can make condensed milk barfi in a microwave. The result is a more solid/thicker consistency vs the more traditional slight crumble texture.
What is the difference between peda and barfi
While peda and barfi are similarly made from condensed milk solids, they have some differences. Peda are round shaped, more firm in texture and made of khoya. Barfi is also made of condensed milk solids, khoya or besan or a variety of other flavors and fillings.
Milk Barfi / Milk Powder Burfi
- Mixing bowl
- Heavy bottom pan / non stick
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup whole milk powder 115g
- ¼ cup sugar 50g (if you like very sweet can increase)
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- chopped nuts (pistachios, almonds) optional, topping
- Put a non-stick pan on low on the stove. Add ghee and melt. Add in whole milk. Mix with ghee. Add in milk powder slowly while stirring to combine with whisk to break apart lumps.
- Add in sugar. Continue stirring on low heat. You will notice the mixture begin to solidify as the water is burned out. Keep stirring on low.
- After about 10 minutes you will see the barfi mixture easily comes away from the pan. It becomes a thicker almost paste like mixture. Turn off gas and remove from heat.
- Add in cardamom powder and mix.
- Line a pan with parchment paper. Spread the barfi mixture into a block/rectangular like shape. Add chopped nuts and lightly press into mixture. Let cool and most importantly dry. Overnight is best and then you will get the right texture.Note: Giving barfi mixture time to dry is important. If you want to serve it quickly you can put it in the fridge so it cools quick. But leaving it out to dry and covered gives it a great texture.
- Cut into pieces and serve.