This beetroot halwa recipe is an easy to make creamy Indian dessert flavored with a bit of cardamom. It is made with only a few ingredients.
Although it is not popular as Gajar ka Halwa, it is a delicious mithai and a healthier option than many Indian sweets!
Time to make: 25 minutes
Why make it:
- Beets provide natural sweetness for a healthier treat
- Easier to find ingredients using milk powder instead of khoya
- Easy make ahead dessert for gatherings
- Can be made vegan too! Vegan ingredient substitutes below
Notes on Ingredients and Substitutes
Sweetener: This recipe uses sugar but this beetroot halwa recipe can be made with jaggery as well. Experiment with other sweeteners such as monk fruit for a healthier alternative. You can also add raisins for more sweetness and texture.
Vegan Options: I have made a vegan version of this as well. Instead of milk powder, I used almond flour. In place of dairy milk, I used oat milk. You can substitute whichever dairy free milk you prefer. I also have a Vegan Gajar Ka Halwa recipe up here.
Crushed/Chopped Nuts: Use whichever nuts you like but just make sure to roast slightly for better depth of flavor. If you have a nut allergy, just skip!
The process for making beetroot halwa is similar to Gajar Ka Halwa.
- Roast the shredded beets in ghee
- Mix in milk powder, cardamom, sugar and milk
- Cook until well combined and moisture mostly evaporates
- Refrigerate: Halwa can be stored for about a week and half in a tight container in the fridge.
- Freeze: Halwa can also be frozen. Either in a freezer ziploc bag or container. Just remember to put out a few hours ahead of time. You can also microwave it to get it that warm, just made taste.
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
Beetroot Halwa Recipe
- 1 beet 275g
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup milk powder 120g
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1½ tsp cardamom
- 2 tbsp milk
- nuts roasted and crushed for garnish to taste
- Prepare ingredients. Shred beets.
- On medium heat put a non-stick pan on the stove and ghee. Roast beets in ghee about 6 minutes
- Add milk powder, cardamom powder and mix thoroughly. Cook for 3 minutes while mixing.
- Lastly, reduce heat and add sugar. Stir to mix thoroughly and turn off gas. Stirring until cooked and any excess water is evaporated.
- Take off gas. Garnish with roasted chopped pistachios or nuts of choice and enjoy.