Cream filled sandwiches meet burfi to make a new Indian fusion treat
Classic Indian milk burfi (barfi) meets the favorite Oreo cookie to make an Indian Fusion treat, cookies and cream burfi!
This recipe was featured on Metro UK!
To see the article check it out here: Cookies and Cream Burfi on Metro UK
Ingredients for cookies and cream burfi
- Milk powder
- Condensed milk
- Double stuff cream filled cookies (Oreos or I used Back to Nature available at Whole Foods in the US)
- Vanilla extract
Optionally, add in extra cream filling from a few additional cookies for more cookies and cream flavor.
Note: Burfi is traditionally made with khoya/mawa (condensed milk solids). I’ve used condensed milk as a short cut and also for the flavor.
I love doing plays on milk barfi! Tiramisu barfi is definitely another recipe you should check out.
Making the burfi
So, this Indian fusion dessert is pretty easy to make. It does take some time to dry and cool so I would allot atleast 3-4 hours. The flavor comes through best when cooled and set. If you can, leave it overnight.
For visual appeal you can:
- Take halves or pieces of the cookie and push in gently on top before the sweet cools
- Cut off thin slivers of the edges to show more of the black and white cookie filled look before serving
Looking For Other Indian Fusion Dishes?
Shop This Post Or Check Out Some Of My Faves!
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
Cookies and Cream Burfi – Indian Fusion Dessert
- 1 cup condensed milk
- 1¼ cup milk powder
- 6 double stuff oreo cookies chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ghee
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Chop double stuff oreo (creme filled) cookies
- Put pan on on stove. Add in condensed milk, sugar, milk powder and ghee until smooth in pan. Turn on stove on medium and whisk for about 3-4 minutes.
- Mixture should thicken and start to pull away from pan. At this point, turn off gas and remove from heat.
- Mix in vanilla extract. Spread out in pan, to help it cool. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Mix in oreo cookies.
- Spread out into parchment lined pan and let cool. Use bottom of small bowl or cup to smooth out. Press in some extra cookie pieces on top if you would like.
- Let cool 3-4 hours before cutting (overnight if possible). Then serve.