Traditional Indian Drink, Kesar Milk or Saffron Milk
Badam pista doodh, a classic drink filled with delicious goodness, kesar milk which is saffron milk in English. You may also hear it referred to as kesar badam milk or kesar badam doodh. Doodh translates to milk!
So, this drink can be served warm or chilled. It is basically saffron infused milk with crushed almonds and a little cardamom. It is very easy to make and refreshing. The saffron is the real draw in the drink.
Saffron has such a beautiful aroma and flavor. If you love saffron as much as I do, here are a few recipes I have starring that ingredient:
Why make kesar milk / saffron milk?
- It is easy and easily made vegan
- You can skip sugar and use sweetener of choice
- Saffron is a delicious underutilized flavor
Saffron, a royal ingredient
Saffron, was known to be an ingredient reserved for royalty back in the day. Today, it is still an expensive spice. This is due to the way it is harvested and the time/labor needed. Saffron is loaded with antioxidants, it may improve mood and it has other benefits listed here.
In India, it is a drink often given to women during pregnancy.
- Soak almonds 10-15 minutes and blend into a paste OR grind almonds into a fine powder.
- Boil milk with saffron, sugar and cardamom
- Add almond paste or almond powder to milk. Mix thoroughly.
- Milk and serve – optionally top with crushed mixed nuts
If serving chilled Then…
If serving the drink chilled, bloom the saffron in 2 tbsp heated milk then mix into the cold milk.
Making it vegan
To make this vegan, just swap out dairy milk for a plant based milk of your choice! It is a very vegan friendly recipe.
Shop This Post Or Check Out Some Of My Faves!
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
- kettle or pot to heat milk
- 1 cup Milk milk of choice, whole milk for creaminess
- 1½ tbsp almond powder
- 1 pinch Saffron crushed
- 1 tbsp Sugar adjust to taste
- ⅛ tsp cardamom
- Add milk, sugar and saffron to kettle or pot and heat on stovetop
- Bring to boil then take off heat
- Pour and top with crushed almonds