Aloo methi is a simple delicious sabzi with potatoes and nutritious fenugreek leaves. All you need are a few basic Indian spices to make this quick dish.
Aloo methi is a dish with a unique taste of methi flavor, slightly crisp potatoes and mild spices. We go light on the spices to let the methi flavor come through here.
Aloo means potatoes and methi means fenugreek leaves.
It can be referred to a stir fry of potatoes and fenugreek leaves. This is the type of dish made in Indian homes on a regular basis. Not the heavy cream laden ones served in restaurants!
Serve it as a main course dish or as a side dish.
Methi is found easily in an Indian grocery store. This recipe uses fresh leaves. Dried methi (kasoori methi) or fenugreek found in most grocery stores don’t work here.
Other methi recipes include:
- Methi Na Gota – a popular Gujarati snack served often with masala chai.
- Methi Thepla – delicious, savory Gujarati bread like a methi paratha
- Methi Matar Malai – you will see this often at Indian restaurants
- Muthias – Eaten alone or served up as Valor Muthia Nu Shaak, muthias can be made with fenugreek leaves.
Why you will love this recipe
- Simple ingredients | Wholesome ingredients with nutrient-packed fenugreek leaves
- Quick to prepare | Just 10-15 minutes of cook time needed for everyday meals
- Vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free |Skip asafetida to make it gluten-free
The two key ingredients for Aloo Methi are potatoes and fresh fenugreek leaves. Other than that, you will need a few common Indian spices used in preparation of Indian food.
Below are ingredient notes. Full ingredients and directions are in the printable recipe card at the end of the post. Variations of the dish are noted in the following section.
Potatoes – I used Russet potatoes. Peel, chop up and use cubed potatoes. You can also use baby potatoes. No need to boil ahead of time as raw potatoes are used.
Fenugreek leaves – fresh methi should be washed multiple times as it tends to trap dirt. Then, remove the leaves from the stalk. Tender stalks near leaves can be kept. Chop and you are set.
Note: quantity of methi reflect packed cup of leaves. Loosely placed leaves is about 4 cups.
Spices – Salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder are cumin coriander powder are the main spices. You can optionally ad ½ tsp sugar to offset the bitter taste.
Oil – Any neutral oil will do, used at the beginning for tadka and then to slightly crisp up and cook the potatoes.
Tip: Methi are leafy greens with a bitter taste. If you don’t like the taste you can sprinkle ¼ tsp salt on the leaves and let sit for 30 minutes. This will draw out moisture which you can squeeze out which reduces the bitterness of methi.
There are many variations to Aloo Methi. I’ve included the basic version in the recipe card which is along the lines of a Gujarati shaak.
Additional ingredients you can include are:
½ green chili chopped (I used red chili powder so skipped green chilies)
¼ cup chopped onions (add right before potatoes)
2 cloves of garlic (chopped finely, add abefore potatoes)
½ inch ginger (chopped finely, add before potatoes)
To make Aloo Methi Dhaba style:
- Add ¼ cup crushed tomatoes
- Ground cashews, peanuts or besan flour
- Adjust amount of spices to account for added ingredients
Making Aloo Methi or Methi Bateta Nu Shaak
Heat oil in a pan on medium-high. Add cumin seeds. Once they begin to cook and darken slightly in color add asafetia (hing).
Add chopped potato cubes, turmeric powder and salt to pan. Mix well. Turn gas to low.
Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. Open lid and mix about every minute. At the 3-4 minute mark check to see that potatoes are cooked. They should be fork tender (easy to cut with a knife). They will also be slightly crispy.
Add chopped methi (fenugreek leaves), red chili powder and cumin coriander powder. Mix well. Cover and cook 2 minutes.
Methi will cook down. Aloo methi recipe is ready.
TIP: If you find potatoes are sticking to bottom of pan you can add 1/8 cup water
Aloo methi sabzi can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Leftovers can also be frozen for later use.
15 Minute Aloo Methi or Methi Bateta Nu Shaak
- 1 potato 175g
- 1 cup fenugreek leaves packed cup – 80g, methi, leaves and tender stalk only, washed very well
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp asafetida hing
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin coriander powder
- Heat oil in a pan on medium high. Add cumin seeds. Once they begin to cook and darken slightly in color add asafetia (hing).
- Add chopped potatoes, turmeric powder and salt to pan. Mix well. Turn gas to low.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. Open lid and mix about every minute. At the 3-4 minute mark check to see that potatoes are cooked. They should be fork tender (easy to cut with a knife). They will also be slightly crispy.
- Add methi (fenugreek leaves), red chili powder and cumin coriander powder. Mix well. Cover and cook 2 minutes.
- Methi will cook down. Dish is ready.