- Needs only a few ingredients
- Simple to make
- Vegetarian and vegan
Athela marcha are a staple in Gujarati homes! You will see them eaten with everything from shaaks, khichdi, basmati rice and khakhra. It is basically a pickle served on the side that has a yummy bite. Another version is Indian carrot pickle.
To make these Indian green chili (hari mirch) pickles, you just chop up some chilies (or jalapenos) and mix with a few spices for an instant pickle.
If you have some time, you can add salt to them and let them sit overnight. This allows time for excess water to seep out. Then, the following morning add rest of ingredients, mix and it is ready!
You may also hear athela marcha referred to as raita marcha, hari mirch ka achar or mirch ka achar.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
Only a few ingredients are needed. If you cook Indian food often most will be in your Indian spice dabba!
Green chilies: traditionally, athela marcha are made with mild-medium green chillies. If you don’t have any on hand you can even substitute jalapenos.
Split Mustard Seeds (Rai Na Kuria): This is an Indian spice that is key to this recipe to make it the traditional way.
Lemon juice: Helps to preserve the pickle. Optionally, you can use vinegar but it totally changes the flavor and comes across pretty sharp.
Turmeric and salt: No substitutions for these
Asafetida (Hing): This gives a great umami taste. If you want to make it gluten-free you can skip.
Oil: you can use any neutral oil, many prefer to use mustard oil. Canola works too.
Jaggery: This is optional, but if you enjoy athela marcha, you make like to try a version including jaggery. It gives you a tangy, lightly spiced with a hint of sweet, delicious flavor. We make it with and without, just depends on the mood! You could try making it with and without for comparison.
Making the Pickle
Prep the chilies by cutting off the stems. Then, cut the chilies in half and chop into approximately 1 inch pieces.
Optional: Put half the salt on the chilies and mix. Let it 15 minutes. If excess water comes out from the green chilies, pour out.
Add in remaining ingredients.
Mix and serve! The longer you let the chilies sit in the mixture the more flavorful they will get but they can be eaten right away with great taste.
Storing Athela Marcha
Store in an airtight container.
Gujarati Athela Marcha (Instant Indian Green Chili Pickle)
- 1 Bowl
- 100 grams green chilies 12-14 green chilies, mild/medium heat
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2½ tbsp split mustard seeds (rai na kuria)
- ¼ tsp asafetida (hing)
- 2 tbsp oil can use any oil, many prefer to use mustard oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp jaggery powder optional
- Prep the chilies by cutting off the stems. Then, cut the chilies in half and chop into approximately 1 inch pieces.
- Optional: Put half the salt on the chilies and mix. Let it 15 minutes. If excess water comes out from the green chilies, pour out.
- Add in remaining ingredients.
- Mix and serve! The longer you let the chilies sit in the mixture the more flavorful they will get but they can be eaten right away with great taste.