Indian Fusion Dessert – Chikoo Cheesecake!
Chikoo is one of my favorite fruits and tastes so good with cheesecake, hence this Indian fusion dessert. It is a no bake cheesecake recipe which is the best part, especially for these hot summer days. Chikoo brings back memories of trips back to India. You may know chikoo by the name sapota. It has roots in Mexico and found its way to Asia. To me, chikoo has delicious notes of caramel so turning it into a cheese cake layer seemed like a no brainer. When I served it on a cheeseboard last Diwali I discovered how well it goes with cheese.
Indian Fusion Cheesecake With Chikoo
Although chikoo is not as easily found fresh in USA, it is very easily found frozen in Indian grocery stores. I see it sold canned as well in other grocery stores such as Wegmans and Shop-Rite. As a result, this will be quite easy to whip up!
The crust is also so good. If you do not have chikoo I would make the cheesecake with the toasted coconut and cardamom Parle G crust. I would top it with whipped cream and extra toasted coconut for a yummy spin.
There are health benefits to chikoo as well such as rich in vitamins A and C. It also as anti-inflammatory elements. I found this article outlining benefits.
The ingredients for this Indian fusion dessert are simple!
For the toasted coconut cardamom crust:
- Parle G (or graham crackers)
- Coconut powder
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
Making the Toasted Coconut Cardamom Parle-G Cheesecake Crust
Making the Chikoo Cheesecake Filling
Chikoo Cheesecake Layers
This cheesecake has layered cheesecake mix with chikoo puree. Here’s the order:
- Chikoo Puree
- Chikoo Puree
I would just divide each mix into the needed amounts. First eyeballing the amounts needed and then pushing the mix to different sides of the bowl they are in.
Parle-G can be substituted with graham crackers
Can chikoo cheesecake be frozen?
Yes! It is the perfect dessert to make ahead of time. I make the chikoo cheesecake by refrigerating overnight and putting into the freezer for about 2 ½ hours before serving.
Conversely you can freeze the cheesecake and let it sit out about 1 and half hour before eating.
Chikoo can definitely be frozen. In fact, I used frozen chikoo as fresh chikoo is not readily available in the US. It can be found at all grocery stores.
My cheesecake didn’t set!
I would just freeze it 2 hours – 2.5 hours before serving. It will come together and may be due to the heavy cream not being whipped enough.
Chikoo Cheesecake – Toasted Coconut Cardamom Parle G C
- 9 " springform pan
- 2 cups Parle G crumbs 3 packages (12 in each)
- 1 cup coconut fine shredded
- 8 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 packages frozen chikoo 12 oz each room temperature
- 16 oz cream cheese full fat, room temperature
- 1¼ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- whipped cream for topping
- chikoo slices for topping
Toasted Coconut Cardamom Parle G Crust
- Toast coconut on stove on medium flame until just begin to brown and it becomes flagrant. Set aside to cool.
- Blitz Parle-G in a food processor to a crumble.
- Combine Parle G crumble, coconut, cardamom in a bowl.
- Melt butter and sugar. Pour into dry ingredients. Stir to combine well.
- Firmly pack into springform pan. Use bottom of small bowl or cup to help press mixture into pan (can also use hands). Line pan with crust on bottom and sides firmly.
- Freeze until ready to add cheesecake mixture.
- Blend defrosted chikoo into a smooth puree in blender. Set aside.
- Beat whipped cream until smooth, adding in powdered sugar until combined.
- Mix in sour cream and vanilla extract. Set this mixture aside in large bowl.
- Whip cold heavy cream with cold whisk until stiff peaks form. Highly recommend mixer such as Kitchen Aid or hand held electric whisk. I used speed 8 on Kitchen Aid for 6 minutes.
- Carefully mix in whipped cream with cream cheese/sour cream mixture. Divide into 3 sections in bowl.
- Take out spring form pan with crust from fridge. Layer cheesecake and chikoo puree. Three layers cheesecake mix and two layers of chikoo puree. Starting and ending with cheesecake mix.
- Cover and refrigerate 5 hours or overnight. I often put it in the freezer for 2 hours before serving to easily make clean slices.
- Decorate with whipped cream and chikoo slices. Remove from springform pan and serve!