Ready in 30 Minutes – Okonomiyaki Recipe (Vegetarian/Vegan friendly)
What is okonomiyaki?
- It is a Japanese savory pancake
- Its a Japanese street food and per Japan Center it means “grilled as you like it.”
- So there are a lot of ways to make it with different fillings and toppings. It is often made with eggs, meat and flour. Usually cabbage is used.
- This is a vegetarian recipe. If you don’t add cheese it is vegan.
- Osaka style (this version) – batter is mixed and cooked on skillet
- Hiroshima style is fried in layers, has noodles
Why do I love this okonomiyaki recipe?
- It is ready in 30 minutes
- It has more veggies than flour (double veggie to flour mix)
- I have been experimenting w flour types and have been using half whole wheat flour and half oat flour
Make sure to measure the veggies with scale
Okonomiyaki Recipe Process Video
Other quick recipes on the blog:
Quick Broccoli Chickpea Thai Red Curry
Spicy Inside Out Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
Okonomiyaki Recipe (Vegan, Vegetarian friendly)
Osaka style okonomiyaki veg recipe ready in 30 minutes. Easy to make and healthy using oat and whole wheat flour.
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 8 oz cabbage about 4 cups – thinly chopped
- 1 carrot shredded, I use a food processor to save time
- 4 scallions cut in rounds
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds as topping or put in batter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp oil plus oil for cooking batter /coating pan
- Veganaise or mayo
- BBQ sauce
- Prep and cut all veggies, ginger, garlic, scallions (save half scallions for topping)
- Whisk together oat and all purpose flour with 1 1/2 cup water
- Mix both flour mixture and veggies, ginger, garlic, scallions. Last add baking soda and oil.
- Heat pan and add 1 tsp oil. Add batter in a round form and spread to make circle (about 4 heaping tbsp). It will be thick. Cook on both sides about 4-5 minutes on medium-high until browned and a bit crispy.
- Serve with sauces, topped with sesame seeds and scallions. Cheese optional too
Note, this is inspired by Osaka style okonomiyaki
Calories: 148kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 6gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 21mgPotassium: 263mgFiber: 5gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 1824IUVitamin C: 20mgCalcium: 70mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!