Time to make: 25 minutes
Kaju katli is a popular Indian sweet. Kaju means cashew and that is the primary ingredient.
- Vegetarian and vegan friendly
- SO DELICIOUS
- Cashew flour (finely ground cashews) – make sure to sieve the cashew flour. The big pieces that don’t sieve through can be ground again.
- Ghee – to make vegan, skip the ghee and use a vegan butter or other neutral oil
- Rose water – optionally you can add in a teaspoon. I prefer without.
- Cardamom – optionally you can add in 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder. I prefer without.
How do you make kaju katli?
If you have never made kaju katli, it is actually pretty easy to make. However, you do need to be mindful of a few things:
- Cashew flour: Use finely ground cashews for a smooth texture.
- Blending cashews: When blending the cashews don’t over -blend. Pulse to blend. It took me only about 3-4 pulses to grind the cashews. Meaning use a start and stop method. If you blend for too long you risk the cashews releasing fat.
- Pay attention to the sugar syrup consistency, do not over boil it
- Watch the temperature: Once the cashew/milk powder blend is added to the syrup, make sure to lower the gas temperature and again, don’t overcook
- Resting time: While you may be tempted to eat it right away, give it enough time to set, at least 3-4 hours. I usually let it set overnight.
Step by Step
Cutting and decorating Kaju Katli
Decorating Kaju Katli
Traditionally, silver warq or silver foil is used. I have used gold foil. It is linked here.
Looking For Other Indian Dessert Recipes? Check Out:
Shop This Post Or Check Out Some Of My Faves!
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
How to Make Easy Kaju Katli (Kaju Barfi) Mithai
This recipe for homemade, kaju katli (kaju barfi) is delicious. It is smooth, creamy and halwai jaisa texture and made with only 5 ingredients. It’s one of those sweets you can’t just have one of! Boxes of kaju katli, amongst other Indian sweets are often gifted during Indian holidays.
- Non stick pan
- Silicon spoon
- Parchment paper
- Rolling Pin
- 1 cup cashew flour finely ground cashews
- ¼ cup milk powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp ghee
- ⅓ cup + 2 tbsp water
- gold or silver foil optional for decoration
- Grind cashews. Do not over grind, do it in pulses so cashews do not release fat. Sieve so only using finely ground cashews.
- Mix cashew flour and milk powder together in a bowl
- Add water, sugar and ghee to non-stick pan. Turn stove on medium and whisk until sugar dissolves. Let simmer on medium heat for about 4½-5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low. Slowly add in the milk powder/cashew flour blend while mixing. I added it in three parts whiles continuosly mixing.
- Bring gas to medium once, it will bubble, then bring back down to low (i kept it two notches above lowest setting).
- Keep mixing total time about 4½-5 minutes. You will notice the mixture has thickened and when you run a spatula/spoon through the mix it holds shape, as pictured.
- Turn off gas, remove from heat. Let stand 3 minutes.
- Pour onto a piece of parchment. Let stand about 6-7 minutes.
- Use the sides of the parchment to knead the kaju katli mix to smooth out the dough
- Take a few drops of ghee and spread across the top. Fold over the parchment over the kaju katli. Use a rolling pin to roll out.
- Add gold or silver foil
- Let cool and atleast 3-4 hours. Cut to make diamond shapes. Using a ruler helps!
The key to kaju katli is really paying attention to the sugar mixture and not over cooking it at the beginning. Also, do not overcook and dry out the mix once you add the cashew blend. It will look a bit wet, but give it time to set and it will have a nice soft texture. Ideally, I like to let it set overnight. More tips in blog post
Calories: 63kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 1gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 14mgPotassium: 47mgSugar: 12gVitamin A: 33IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 32mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
4 thoughts on “How to Make Authentic Kaju Katli (Kaju Barfi)”
This was melt in my mouth DELICOUS! Omg thank you
Came out gud. thx so much
So happy to hear!