Active Time: 5 minutes
Kulfi is often described as ice cream but the texture and consistency is different! It is usually served on a plate cut into pieces and eaten with a spoon. Sometimes you will see it served as a popsicle as well.
Serve it as a dessert for your next party because it is:
- Quick: with this recipe you only need a few minutes of active time then just freeze
- Simple: requiring only four ingredients!
- Versatile: mawa kulfi comes in so many different flavors and you can easily use this recipe to make other flavors such as Kesar Pista Kulfi
- Mawa or Khoya – this recipe cannot be made without this! The khoya gives the kulfi a slightly grainy texture that many associate with kulfi. You can either buy fresh or even frozen khoya. Remember to give the khoya time to defrost if you are using frozen.
- Condensed milk – while you could boil milk for a very long time, I don’t see why you should! Condensed milk is just that all ready in a can for you.
- Heavy cream – gives you that lush mouthfeel
- Cardamom – a small amount goes a long way, ensure you use ground cardamom powder
- Optional – ground pistachios or nuts for garnish
Kulfis are traditionally served from a mold like this. If you do not have kulfi molds you can also make this in a small loaf pan or any other small freezer safe containers you have.
Making the Kulfi
This is the easiest crowd pleaser dessert!
- Whisk together ingredients
- Pour into molds
Tips and Ideas For Serving
You can make so many variations of this dessert such as Kesar Pista Kulfi. Other ideas to add to this recipe are:
- Rose water
- Blended fruit
Garnish with crushed nuts, rose petals or even fruit puree. Get creative!
Instant Homemade Mawa Kulfi or Khoya Kulfi with condensed milk (Malai Kulfi)
- kulfi mold or freezer safe container
- ¾ cup condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp cardamom ground/powder
- ½ cup khoya / mawa defrost if using frozen, 80g
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Whisk to ensure khoya/mawa pieces are a fine crumble. You can leave bigger pieces if you enjoy the texture.
- Pour into molds and freeze 6-8 hours.
- Remove from molds. Run hot water over mold to help remove. Cut into pieces and optionally garnish with pistachio crumbles.