Litchee juice lemonade is a refreshing cold drink on its own or as a base for mocktails or cocktails. Litchee or lychee gives a sweet fresh light floral and tangy taste.This can be easily made from either fresh or canned lychees.
This is a favorite fruit of mine and I already have a Pomegranate Lychee martini up! Also a Rose Lemonade linked here.
Time to make: 5-10 minutes
Fresh lychees, canned or litchee juice all work!
Lychees are a popular fruit in Asia and India. I came across some fresh lychees at my local Indian store and knew I had to make some lemonade! I don’t often find fresh ones so when I do I always just buy a bunch. Here is what they look like at the store. They are attached to the thin branches.
Preparing the Lychees
- Pick the lychees off the thin branches
- Peel their skin off
- Inside you find a white/clear fleshy fruit!
- Slice it in half and take the seed out
Lychees have a sweet, fresh, light floral and mildly tangy taste. They pair beautifully with lemons!
Using Canned Lychees
As it is tough to find these on a regular basis at the store, I do sometimes use canned ones. But, I make sure there is NO sugar added. This fruit is sweet on it’s own. So, there is no need for the added sugar and calories. In the US, I like the Polar brand which is linked here.
If you cannot find fresh or canned then look for some litchee juice. But, check the ingredients for other fruits or additives as that will alter the taste.
Ingredient Options and Lychee Mocktail Ideas
This recipe just uses lemons, sugar, water, lychees and ice. But I change it up with these flavors at times:
I think you can make some lovely mocktails or lychee cocktails mixing and matching the flavors! Think Rose Lychee lemonade, Lychee Mint Mojito, Ginger Lychee Margarita or even a Lychee Rose Mule!
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
Lychee Lemonade or Litchee Juice Lemonade
- ¾ cup cold water
- 5 lychees (litchees)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice 1½ small lemons juiced
- 3-4 tbsp sugar adjust for preferred level of sweetness
- Juice lemons
- Blend lychees. Pulp is fine, if you do not like it then strain.
- Mix water and sugar. Add lychee puree and lemon juice. Mix. Add ice. Adjust sugar for level of sweetness desired.
- Fresh or canned litchee works. If canned, ensure no sugar added
- Mint, rose, ginger are a few great pairing ideas
- Adjust sugar to your preferences and sweetness of litchees