This is a fun easy way to incorporate Indian spices into a traditional Italian meal! Palak means spinach in Hindi. This dish includes the addition of cumin, coriander, garlic, red chili powder and onion to spinach which gives the dish an overall warmth of flavors with an Indian spin. For those that like spicy food, I also use lal mirch (red chili powder) and red chili flakes on top because food can never have enough kick for me!
Key Ingredient Notes
- I’ve used Explore brand’s green lentil noodles. They are oven-ready so the step of boiling lasagna is unnecessary.
- I have only added parmesan on top of the bake, just a personal preference. Feel free to layer in both parmesan and mozzarella in all layers.
Making Spiced Spinach Indian Lasagna Recipe
Indian Lasagna: Palak Pesto Lasagna
Palak (Indian spiced spinach) Pesto Lasagna! Fusing cuisines from India and Italy to bring a spin of warm and spicy flavors to the traditional lasagna.
- 16 oz Spinach
- 8 oz
Lasagna strips (or about 12)
- 2 Cloves minced garlic
- 4 tsp Dhana Jeeru
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp
Lal Mirch (red chili pepper)
- 3 tbsp Pesto
- 1 tsp Salt
- 10 oz
- 3 cups
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 3 cups Tomato Sauce
- Red chili powder/flakes (optional topping)
- If needed, boil lasagna noodles according to box instructions. I used an oven-ready brand so skipped this step.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan on medium and add garlic to cook. Once the garlic begins to brown, add in all the spinach and mix. Cook until spinach cooks down, about 4 minutes.
- Add in cumin, coriander, onion powder, red chili pepper, and salt. Mix thoroughly. Turn off the stove, let cool and blend. Mix in pesto.
- Lay 3 lasagna noodles in the bottom of a baking dish. Spread one-fourth of the spinach, ricotta then mozzarella over the noodles in layers. Spread a fourth of the pasta sauce over cheese next. Repeat layering 3 times. On the top layer, I add in parmesan in addition to the mozzarella and sprinkle red chili flakes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Let cool 15-20 minutes then serve
Note I used noodles that did not require boiling
Calories: 360kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 25gFat: 24gSaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 1684mgPotassium: 927mgFiber: 4gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 8424IUVitamin C: 30mgCalcium: 582mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
1 thought on “Palak (Spiced Spinach) Pesto Lasagna”
I liked this unique recipe very much and its very healthy plus it fulfill the craving of having cheese at the sametime. Will definetly like to give it a try. Thank you for the beautiful recipe 😊