Garam masala: This is used along with the usual apple pie spices. Garam Masala is made up of warming spices so using the blend gives the apple pie a warmth. Many people use a homemade blend of Garam Masala. That is what gives our Mom’s cooking that familiar taste and it gives this apple pie a taste of home.
I used Cherrybrook Kitchen cake mix and Dollop vanilla frosting
If you substitute butter for Earth Balance (vegan margarine) in the cookie crust this cupcake is vegan!
Garam Masala Apple Pie Cupcakes
- 1 Box Cupcake Mix (I used Cherrybrook Kitchen)
- 1 Container Vanilla Frosting of choice
For garnish – a sprinkle of cinnamon and toasted pecans
Apple Pie Filling
- 4 Baking Apples chopped finely
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 3/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp Cloves
- 20 Parle-G cookies (or graham crackers) crumbled by hand or put in zip-lock bag and crush
- 2 tbsp Melted Butter or Earth Balance
- 2 tbsp
- Mix melted butter, cookies and brown sugar. Line cupcake sheet with cupcake liners. Divide cookie mixture among the cupcakes and push down mixture with a cup. Pour cupcake batter on top and pop in the oven to bake according to box instructions.
- On med-low heat, cook apple filling mixture for about 3-4 minutes. Take off heat and allow to cool.
- Use a cupcake corer to the core of all the cupcakes.
- Fill each cupcake with the apple pie filling, then place the cake tops back on top.
- Top with frosting. Optionally sprinkle cinnamon and toasted pecans on top for garnish.