Tandoori Spice Queso
Indian Mexican fusion recipe to make a spicy tandoori cheese queso! Add spice and up the flavor profile to a silky queso. This makes a great dip but can also be used to add flavor to tacos such as these Jalapeno Corn Paneer tacos. It can also be used to make Tandoori Mac and Cheese which is linked here!
Why make this Indi-Mex Queso?
- Quick to make
- Layers of flavor
- Change up the usual queso
How do you make it?
- Saute garlic, onions, jalapenos and tomatoes
- Add evaporated milk and cheese
- Add tandoori spice and kashmiri chilli
Tips for making the queso
Tandoori masala is key for this dish. I highly recommend getting tandoori masala from an Indian grocery store. At times, I find the Indian blends at stores such as Whole Foods to be inauthentic blends. When buying a tandoori or tikka masala blend, check the ingredients to make sure there aren’t unnecessary colors added to it such as Red 40. I used MDH brand for this recipe.
Cheese – try to avoid using cheese that is already shredded. Use either a block that you shred yourself or slices as I did. This is because cheese that is already shredded has added ingredients to prevent clumping and that can at times change the texture of the sauce.
I used mild cheddar cheese.
Looking For Other Indian Mexican Fusion Recipes? Check Out:
Shop This Post Or Check Out Some Of My Faves!
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
Tandoori Cheese Queso – Indian Mexican Fusion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup onion finely chopped
- 1 roma tomato chopped finely (128 g)
- 3 tbsp milk
- 8 slices cheese (1 package pre-sliced cheese) 228g
- 13 oz evaporated milk
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped
- 1¼ tsp tandoori masala
- ½ tsp kashmiri chilli
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp milk
- Prep ingredients. Finely chop and mince ingredients into small pieces. Rip cheese slices apart.
- Melt butter in pan on medium high. Add onions and garlic. Cooking about two minutes and mix.
- Add in tomatoes and jalapenos. Cook two more minutes.
- Add in evaporated milk and cheese, stir until cheese melts.
- Add in spices/salt and mix. Add in 3 tbsp milk to thin the consistency a little. It will thicken as cools.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Prep ingredients by chopping all very finely!
- Make sure to use an authentic tandoori masala spice blend
- Use cheese from a block or cheese slices to avoid the extra anti-caking ingredients that comes in pre-shredded cheese bags
- You can always change the consistency of the cheese sauce by adding milk to make creamier
- When reheating, adding a little water or milk will also help to loosen consistency of the sauce