A healthy sweet treat with apple pie flavor
I could eat apple pie every day if I could. But since that would be pretty terrible for me I make this version of apple pie smoothie to satisfy my craving!
It is an easy to adapt recipe as it is pretty simple and could be made vegan. Apple pie smoothie can’t be an apple pie smoothie without some cooked apples. Cooked apples with spices gives this smoothie a yummy strong flavor. As a bonus, it only takes about 5 minutes to cook the apples.
Apple pie smoothie can be made with maple syrup or dates as an alternative to brown sugar. You could also just skip the sugar as the banana does add some sweetness.
You just need a handful of ingredients to make this smoothie:
- Toasted oats
- Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves
- Milk of choice
How to make apple pie smoothie
First, cook apples five minutes then let cool. Then, add oats to blender and grind. Next, you will add in the 1/2 banana, cooked apples, ice, milk and blend. That’s it! I have added some pictures below:
Variations and substitution ideas
Brown sugar substitute ideas
- Use maple syrup or dates
- Skip sugar completely as banana adds sweetness
- Add protein powder that has stevia
- You could use two apples and skip the banana for more apple pie flavor. If you do so, adjust the amount of spice.
- Use pre-made apple pie filling to save time!
- Use a vegan milk to make vegan apple pie smoothie
Apple Pie Smoothie
- small pot
- 1 large apple chopped
- ½ banana
- ¼ cup toasted oats
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or maple syrup or dates
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp cloves
- 1 cup soy milk or milk of choice
- ½ cup ice
- 3 tbsp water
- Heat small pot on stove with water and sugar. Add in apples and spices. Cook covered 5-6 minutes until soft and easily cut. Turn off stove and set aside to cool
- Add oats to blender and grind.
- Add banana, cooked apples, milk and ice to blender. Blend