There are a few things I randomly get cravings for and one of them is masala fries. I mean who doesn’t love french fries?! I certainly do and have been making baking a nice spicy bunch to satisfy the craving. I’ve been experimenting and here is what I found helps to make a nice, crispy batch.
Tips for Crispiness
1. Leave the skin on but wash thoroughly!
2. Cut or spiralize potatoes to about 1/3rd – 1/4th inch
2.Parboil the potatoes for 3 minutes to reduce starchiness
3. Give the potatoes time to dry after parboiling
4. Heat the baking sheet in the oven as you prepare oil/spice mix and potatoes dry after parboiling
4. Optional: Adding in parmesan on top of the fries after the oil/spices mix will give an extra layer of crispiness and nice flavor
Crispy Baked Masala Fries
- 2 large potatos chopped or spiralized
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black salt
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- Pinch of table salt
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- Water for boiling
- Cut or spiralize the potatoes. Leave skin on for added crispiness.
- Parboil the potatoes: Add enough water to cover potatoes. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. As soon as the water comes to a boil, add potatoes and boil for 3 min. Turn off heat, drain the potatoes and then spread them on paper towels to dry. (Atleast 10-15 minutes)
- Make the oil/spice mix: While potatoes are drying, mix spices with oil and set aside giving some time for oil to soak up flavors. (If you have time make ahead to really give time for oil to soak in flavors).
- Heat baking pan: Preheat oven to 450 degrees and put two baking sheets in the oven to heat up
- Mix the fries and oil mix: Toss the potatoes and oil/spice mix in a large bowl. Rubbing in the oil with make for more flavorful fries. Use all of the oil that may have gathered at bottom of bowl.
- Roast the fries: Retrieve the hot baking sheet from the oven and spread the potatoes on the sheet. Give the potatoes space and do not pile on top of each other. Roast, turning the fries over and rotating the baking sheet once after 12 min. and then again in 10 minutes. Bake until fries are crispy and brown. Sprinkle added salt as needed and serve.