Tater tot chaat is a super easy and fun twist on Aloo Chaat. Crisp, flavored tater tots take the place of potatoes in it. The tater tots are tossed in chutneys and Indian spices for delicious baked in flavor. Then, the dish is prepared as chaat.
Chaat is a popular dish across all age groups! It makes for a great Diwali party snack or appetizer or just an everyday meal. It’s particularly delicious served with a cup of piping hot chai!
There are many types of chaat such as dahi puri, bhel puri and aloo chaat, all of which are a very popular Indian street food.
This easy Samosa Chaat is a another example of a quick chaat.
Tater tots: frozen tater tots, any brand will do. I used a 1 lb bag (16 oz.)
Chutneys: The standard chutneys are needed for chaat.
- Cilantro chutney
- Tamarind chutney: Can use Date Chutney or Apple Butter Chutney too
- Garlic chutney
Spices: Chaat masala, red chili powder, salt, and roasted cumin powder are needed.
Chaat masala is easy to make with only a few ingredients.
Toppings: adjust quantity to your preference for chaat
- Red onions
- Pomegranate seeds
- Cilantro (chopped)
- Yogurt: mix with a little water to make it fluid like a sauce. Can also optionally add a little sugar.
How To Make
Preheat oven according to the tater tot package (I did 450F). In a mixing bowl toss cilantro chutney, tamarind chutney, red chili powder, jeera powder, salt, and chaat masala to coat.
Bake for 18 minutes (or according to your brand of tots). Flip once halfway through to get even crispiness.
Once baked, top tater tots with cilantro chutney, tamarind chutney, garlic chutney, yogurt, onions, and pomegranate per your preference.
Top with nylon sev and cilantro. Add a finishing sprinkle of chaat masala on top.
Tater Tot Chaat
- 1 Baking sheet
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 16 oz tater tots 1 lb
- 1 tbsp cilantro chutney
- 1 tbsp tamarind chutney or date chutney or apple butter chutney
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- ¼ tsp roasted jeera powder
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic chutney adjust to preference
- ⅛ cup red onion chopped
- ¼ cup nylon sev
- 2 tbsp yogurt mix with 1 tsp water
- 1-2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- cilantro chopped, optional
- Preheat oven according to tater tot package (I did 450F). In a mixing bowl toss cilantro chutney, tamarind chutney, red chili powder, jeera powder, salt and chaat masala to coat.
- Bake 18 minutes (or according to your brand of tots). Flip once halfway through to get even crispiness.
- Once baked, top tater tots with cilantro chutney, tamarind chutney, garlic chutney, yogurt, onions, pomegranate per your preference.
- Top with nylon sev and cilantro. Add finishing sprinkle of chaat masala on top.