Easy Eggless Pistachio Cupcakes From Scratch
Pistachio is a fun flavor that is popular in many Indian desserts. Pistachio cupcakes can be paired with many different flavors. For this recipe, I have filled the cupcakes with an easy chocolate ganache and topped with rose buttercream frosting.
I’ve used ground pistachios in the batter which gives it greenish undertones. If you want bold green color, I suggest adding a drop or two of green food coloring.
The rose water buttercream frosting recipe can be found here: Rose Water Buttercream Frosting
What are the ingredients?
- All purpose flour
- Roasted ground pistachios
- Baking powder
- Whole milk
- Vanilla and almond extract
Are there vegan substitutions?
Plant based milk can be used in place of whole milk. I have not tried making these with Earth Balance (vegan buttter substitute) but I will try and update this post at a later date.
Easy Pistachio Cupcakes (Eggless, Vegan substitutions)
- Cupcake pan
- Mixing bowl
- 1 cup all purpose flour 125 g
- 3/4 cup sugar 160 g – sifted
- 1/2 cup butter 4 oz/113 g – softened (or vegan substitute Earth Balance)
- 1 cup roasted pistachios ground finely 110 g – I left some chunks in the mix, optional per taste
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 2.5 ml
- 1 tsp almond extract 5 ml
- 1/4 tsp salt 2 g
- 2 tsp baking power 8 g
- 1 cup whole milk 8 oz or soy milk (sugar free)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar 15 ml – white vinegar can be substituted
Easy chocolate ganache
- 5.5 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp butter 28 g
- 1/4 cup heavy cream 2 oz
- Roast pistachios and grind into powder. Use 2 tbsp of the flour while grinding to prevent pistachio mixture from becoming pasty.
- Sift together all dry ingredients except sugar.
- Mix milk with vinegar.
- Beat butter on medium until creamy. Slowly beat in sugar until all is incorporated. Beat in extracts.
- Alternating between dry ingredients and milk, slowly beat into butter/sugar mixture until all is combined.
- Heat oven to 350F and line cupcake tin with liners. Pour cupcake batter into liners to about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes. Check with toothpick to ensure fully baked. Let cool completely before icing so they set up properly.
For Chocolate ganache (optional)
- Microwave heavy cream, butter and chocolate chips for 1 minute. Whisk briskly to combine and set aside to let cool. It will thicken as it cools. Once cupcakes are cooled, core the cupcakes and fill them.
For rose frosting
7 thoughts on “Pistachio Cupcakes with Rose Frosting (Chocolate Ganache filled and eggless)”
Can these be made vegan ??
Hi there – I have not made them completely vegan yet. I have used soy milk and that worked fine. I believe if you just substituted a vegan butter substitute it should work. Again, haven’t tried yet so can’t confirm. Planning on trying it vegan later this month and will update the post once I do!
Hi there – I made these using soy milk instead of whole milk and Earth Balance in place of butter and they turned out good.
How many grams is one cup? They all seem to be different!
Hi Manisha! I realize measuring with cups is a US only thing. Based on King Arthur’s site the all purpose flour would be about 120g : https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/learn/ingredient-weight-chart
I had used an 8oz measuring cup, spooning flour into the cup and leveling it off. I’m planning on making these again soon and will weigh out ingredients and update the post with those measurements soon. Thanks for the note!
Amazing, thank you so much!
Hi there – I made this and tried to measure it all out best I could. Recipe card has updated measurements.