Indian Fusion Dessert
Starting off the blog with something sweet! Gajar ka halwa is a traditional Indian sweet that is easy to make and super yummy! Its main ingredient is carrots and it is cooked with milk and flavored with spices and some sugar. It tastes delicious on its own but in this recipe, I’m doing a spin on this sweet by combining this traditional sweet with another dessert which you may be more familiar with – carrot cupcakes!
The flavors pair well together and I chose a plain vanilla cupcake in order to let the taste of the yummy filling come through.
You could also use my Gajar Ka Halwa Cake Recipe to make a different version of these cupcakes!
Gajar Ka Halwa
The halwa itself doesn’t require too many ingredients so it is not complicated to whip up. It can be made vegan as well and I’ve noted some substitutions in the link. Gajar Ka Halwa Recipe
To make the halwa vegan follow this recipe.
Gajar Ka Halwa Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup gajar ka halwa
- 1 package cupcake mix (I used Cherrybrook Village) or use my eggless vanilla cupcake recipe https://someindiangirl.com/eggless-vanilla-cupcake-recipe/
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp cardamom fine powder
Carrot Shape Decorations
- ½ package marzipan
- Green and orange food color I used Chefmaster natural colors
- Make 12 cupcakes: Prepare cupcakes according to mix instructions or use your favorite vanilla cupcake recipe
- Make gajar ka halwa (¼see link above)
- While cupcakes and halwa cool prepare decorations and icing
- Carrot decorations: Take about 4 oz. marzipan – color 3/4 of it orange and 1/4 green and shape into carrots with green leaf-like strings (I used a toothpick to make indentations on the carrots to make it a little more lifelike)
- Icing: Whip together cream cheese, Earth Balance, icing sugar and cardamom and fill into an icing bag (I used Wilton tip 1M and kept the icing in the fridge until I was ready to ice the cupcakes)
- Core the cupcakes/scoop out cupcake in middle and fill with about 1 tsp gajar ka halwa. Put some of the scooped out cupcake back on top.
- Frost the cupcakes and top with the carrot marzipan decorations and enjoy!!