Time to make: 25 minutes
Khajoor or Dates Roll Barfi
- No sugar added – natural sweetness from dates
- Nuts add crunch and protein
- Great for gifting or even just as an energy bite for home!
This recipe uses only dates to make the sweet. But, you can also add in raisins, cranberries, apricots or really any other dried fruits you may have! If you add figs you will have anjeer barfi!
Key Notes on Ingredients and Substitutes
- Nuts: Use roasted nuts for best flavor. I have used a blend of nuts, however you can use whatever you have on hand! Just keep the ratio of nuts and/or seeds to dates the same and you will be set.
- Dates: I have used only dates in this barfi. You can substitute some of the dates for raisins. You can also add in cranberries, apricots or other dried fruits that you enjoy.
- Desiccated Coconut: After the dates roll is made, I roll the sweet in desiccated coconut. You can also roll it in toasted poppy seeds or even skip the step.
- Vegan: To make this vegan, instead of ghee I would use plant based butter or ghee alternative.
This dry fruit barfi lasts up to a month in an airtight container. So, you can make it ahead of time for gift giving season! Just like Kaju Katli
Making Dry Fruit Barfi
Prep: First, chop the dates and roughly chop the roasted nuts. (if not roasted, roast the nuts first!)
To save time, use a food processor to give the roasted nuts about 3 pulses. A few pulses is all you really need to roughly chop them in the food processor.
- Then, heat ghee in pot on stove and add dates to pan.
- Cook on medium-high about 4-5 minutes while stirring. They will begin to break down and form a thick paste.
- Add in cardamom and nuts and mix thoroughly.
- Let cool.
Make the date nut rolls: Once the mixture is cool roll with hands into log shape. I divided the mixture into four equal parts and made rolls. Roll them in desiccated coconut.
Cut and serve! Khajoor burfi will stay good in an air tight container for about a month.
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
Khajur Burfi or Dry fruit barfi
- Food processor
- ½ cup Cashews 65g
- ½ Cup Pistachios 65g
- ½ cup Almonds 65g
- ½ Cup Walnuts 65g
- 2 Cups Dates 355g
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- ½ Tsp Cardamom powder
- Dry roast nuts on medium – high flame. Roast each set of nuts separately, as each will roast in different amount of time. About 1 minute each. Once roasted, roughly chop the nuts.
- Roughly chop dates
- Add ghee to pan and heat on medium. Add dates to ghee. Roast and break apart the dates into a paste-like mixture. Keep stirring/smashing. About 7-9 minutes.
- Add nuts and cardamom to dates in pan.
- Mix to combine.
- Once cooled, divide mixture into 4 parts and form logs/cylindrical shape. Roll in dessiccated coconut.
- Cut 1/2 inch slices and serve.