This has become one of my favorite flavor profiles! The key ingredient is the saffron caramel sauce. The longer it sits, the more saffron flavor comes through.
I’ve used ready-made pie crust and dough making this an easy pie to whip up! I’ve used Wholly Wholesome for the crust and dough.
Link to the saffron caramel sauce is here: Saffron Caramel Sauce
Saffron Caramel Cardamom Apple Pie
- 6 apples (3 pink lady and 3 honey crisp)
- 3 tbsp Lemon juice
- ¼ cup All-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Cloves
- Ready-made pie crusts and dough thawed
- Sea salt, optional for the top or caramel
- Pinch of saffron
- ¾ cup Saffron caramel sauce (recipe link above)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Crush saffron and place in 2 tbsp warm water to bloom
- Combine apple slices, lemon juice, flour, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, saffron water and nutmeg. Toss until the apples are well coated
- Add the apple mixture to thawed pie crust
- Place the other pie dough circle on top to close the pie and press down around edges to close pie. Make two slits in top of pie.
- Cut 4 slits in the top of the pie for ventilation. Brush with heavy cream or egg wash.
- Bake the pie for 55-60 minutes until golden brown.
- Make saffron caramel sauce if not already made (link above in post)
- Once the sauce has cooled, top pie with saffron caramel sauce
- Add a few saffron strands for garnish (optional) and serve!