This is a quick, easy to make caramel that includes the infusion of saffron flavor. It tastes delicious drizzled on ice cream, used as a filling for chocolate or with my cardamom apple tarts.
Note, the longer this sits, the more the flavor of saffron is pronounced. It is important to let the saffron bloom before adding it to the melted sugar mixture.
Saffron Caramel Sauce
- 4 generous pinches of saffron ground
- 1/8 cup warm milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Add saffron to warm milk, mix and set aside to bloom five minutes.
- Add water, sugar and salt to a pan on the stove. Stir for 5 minutes on medium heat. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until deeply golden, about 5 minutes.
- Once caramel is a deeply golden, turn off heat and immediately stir in cream and butter. Keep stirring to combine.
- Add an additional pinch of saffron strands and stir in (optional).
- Let cool. It will thicken as it cools.