Inside Out Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Cheese on the inside AND the outside?!
Yes, inside out grilled cheese is here to make your fave quick comfort meal even better. If you love cheese and spices you are in the right place. My version uses masalas (spices) and a few fillings along with cheese to level up your grilled cheese game.
The best part of grilled cheese is it’s easy and quick. This spicy inside out grilled cheese only adds the time needed to chop up some red onions, grape tomatoes and jalapenos. Or whatever you like to add in grilled cheese. It’s just about adding layers of flavor and crunch.
When I first had an inside out grilled cheese some years ago my mind was blown. I love when tiny bits of cheese fall out and crisp up on the pan so this was a no brainer way to actually get it on the sandwich itself.
What is inside out grilled cheese sandwich?
It is a delcious spin on your usual grilled cheese. Instead of just melting cheese on the inside you get a crispy cheesy layer on the outside. So you get both a gooey cheese filling and crsipy satisfying cheese layer on the outside.
There are no weird ingredients in this. All I’ve used is bread, shredded cheese, common Indian spices and butter for the base.
For optional fillings I’ve used:
- Red onions
- Grape tomatoes
In terms of spices I have used just four:
- Red chilli powder (lal mirchi)
- Garlic powder
- Cumin powder
- Coriander powder
In the recipe card I have outlined the spices adding up to 1 tsp for 1 grilled cheese. Don’t like the spices I used? Make your own mashup, so many possibilities!
Need other ideas on what spices go best with grilled cheese?
So many ideas, but I think it depends on the cheese you use. Here are some ideas to get you going:
How to spice grilled cheese?
Ironically, I like to spice my grilled cheese sandwich from the inside out! I add spices to the butter before laying a slice of bread on it to grill. Then after putting cheese on the other side I sprinkle more spices on top. This helps soak in more flavor from both angles.
Tips for inside out grilled cheese
- I think butter beats mayo! And this taste test agrees with me
- Make sure pan is hot before beginning
- Cook on medium flame
- Shredded cheese is best and also gives a gooey inside
Need something to serve with this? How about: masala fries
Here is another Indian fusion idea: Pav Bhaji Nachos
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
Spicy Inside Out Grilled Cheese
- Mix spices together in a small bowl (red chilli powder, garlic powder, cumin powder, coriander powder)
- Chop jalapenos, red onion and tomatoes. (or other fillings of choice)
- Add butter to hot pan on medium heat and immediately add 1/4 tsp of spice mix
- Top that slice of bread with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and top with jalapenos, tomatoes and red onions. Sprink 1/2 tsp spice mix over slice.
- Add the other slice of bread on top and flip once bottom half is seared brown. Repeat process of adding butter to pan then remaining 1/4 tsp of spices.
- When both sides are browned, take grilled cheese off pan with spatula and sprink 1/4 cup of cheese directly on pan. Lay one side down on top briefly until cheese is crispy.
- Repeat and add remaining 1/4 cup of cheese to pan again and top with the other side until crispy. Enjoy!