An easy, quick hearty meal, Indian black eyed peas or lobia
This Indian black eyed peas or lobia or rongi recipe is a delicious, flavorful dish which you may hear referenced as chawli or lobia masala. Chawli, lobia or rongi means black eyed peas.
It is a delicious one pot meal that is great paired with hot roti or steaming bowl of basmati rice!
This version we make at home includes a ton of spinach for added nutrition.
Why make chawli or lobia masala?
- Ready in 20 minutes
- Sneak in tons of spinach
Some of the key ingredients are:
- Black eyed peas
- Crushed tomatoes
- Spices (see recipe card)
Making this lobia recipe
I used canned black eyed peas to make this recipe as it speeds up the process.
At a high level, you make chawli/lobia masala by:
- Prep the ingredients
- Heat oil in a pan cook onions, ginger, garlic and spices
- Add water
- Add black eyed peas, crushed tomatoes and spinach
- Cover and cook 4-5 minutes
Shop This Post Or Check Out Some Of My Faves!
Looking For Other Traditional Indian Dishes?
- Peas Cauliflower Shaak
- Karela nu shaak (bitter melon)
- Bhinda nu Shaak
- Spinach Dal
- Gajar ka Halwa (Indian carrot pudding)
- Methi Na Gota
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
Lobia Palak Recipe – Chawli – Lobia Masala (Black eyed peas and spinach Indian dish)
Authentic lobia recipe that is so easy to make, hearty and filled with flavor. Also called chawli.
- 31 oz black eyed peas 2 cans (US) or about 878 g
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 2¼ cup spinach packed
- 10 curry leaves can skip if do not have, but gives good flavor
- ¼ cup onions chopped
- ¼ cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp asofetida hing
- ¾ tsp salt adjust to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder lal mirch
- 1 tbsp cumin – coriander powder dhana jeeru blend
- 1 cup water 8 oz
- 1 tsp sugar
- Prep ingredients – wash spinach, chop onions, ginger and garlic. Drain and wash black eyed peas from can.
- Heat oil in pan on medium. Once hot, add cumin seeds. Then after 1 min the asofetida.
- Add onions and cook 3-4 minutes until translucent. Then add in ginger and garlic.
- After mixing the ginger and garlic and letting cook 30 seconds, add in the turmeric, cumin/coriander, turmeric, red chilli powder and curry leaves. Mix well. Add 1 cup of water and let come to boil.
- Add in the black eyed peas
- Add in spinach and mix
- Add in crushed tomatoes, sugar and salt.
- Mix and let simmer 2-3 minutes. Taste and adjust salt as needed before serving.
Serve with some jeera rice Curry leaves give great flavor and can be found in Indian stores
Calories: 208kcalCarbohydrates: 38gProtein: 14gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 317mgPotassium: 636mgFiber: 13gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 1153IUVitamin C: 38mgCalcium: 68mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!