Karela Nu Shaak – Karela Recipe -Cashew Bitter Melon Indian Dish
A quick karela recipe, karela nu shaak with potatoes, a Gujarati bitter melon dish. Served with some fresh, hot rotli or jeera rice and you are set! I love this recipe because the potatoes and kaju or cashews make it so tasty
What is in this karela recipe – karela nu shaak?
This is a kaju karela bateta recipe. So, there is bitter melon, potatoes and roasted ground cashews. Also, there are some onions and spices to round out the dish.
Why should you make this karela recipe?
- Nutritious bitter melon has a host of benefits
- Quick to make
How to cut and prepare the karela (bitter melon)
Below are some pictures to help show you how to cut the karela.
Cut the potatoes in approximately the same shape and size.
Preparing the karela to reduce bitterness
So, bitter melon is known to be…bitter! But, if you prepare the vegetable correctly, you can reduce the strong taste.
In order to reduce the bitterness of karela, after chopping the karela, top with salt and mix. The salt helps the karela “sweat” or release water and along with it, the bitterness. Let sit for 15-20 minutes. Then, take the karela in your hand or wrap in a cheese cloth and squeeze. All set to cook!
Making karela recipe, karela nu shaak or bitter melon Indian style
Once the vegetables are chopped in about the same shape and size and the karela has been squeezed it is time to cook.
Shop This Post Or Check Out Some Of My Faves!
Looking For Other Traditional Indian Dishes?
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
Karela Nu Shaak (bitter melon Indian style)
- 2 karela 500 g
- 3 small potatoes 385 g
- ½ yellow onion 75 g
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds rai
- ½ tsp asofetida hing
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1½ tbsp cumin/coriander powder dhana jeeru
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1½ tsp sugar
- ½ cup cashews roasted and ground
- Heat oil in pan on medium high. Add mustard seeds. Once start popping add asofetida (hing).
- Add karela to pan. Top with turmeric and salt. Mix and cover. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes. Mix and cover. Let cook X minutes.
- Add red chilli powder, cumin/coriander blend and sugar. Mix. Cook 2 more minutes then turn off stove.
- Top with roasted, ground cashews and mix. Serve.