Time to make: 15 minutes
Great for snacking or Diwali/Festivals
This namkeen / farsan / snack is quick to make and I find it to be tastier than the versions sold in stores. Give it a try and you won’t go back to the store bought poha namkeen! Roasted poha chivda is:
- Ready in minutes
- Roasted instead of fried so healthier!
- Vegan and vegetarian
- Poha is parboiled and flattened rice. When roasted or fried it becomes crisp. I used thin poha for this snack.
- Spices – you only need a few. Red chilli powder, turmeric, sugar and salt.
- Citric acid – I think this is key and will give you a slightly tart and delicious flavor.
- Curry leaves – Optional, but recommend for the flavor!
- In Microwave: Microwave 1 cup of poha at a time for 1 minute in a wide plate.
- On Stovetop: In a wide bottom pan, roast the poha on low flame for about 2 minutes. Gently mix in between.
- In Oven: you can also roast in oven. Heat oven to 350F and spread out poha in a sheet pan. Roast for about 12-15 minutes. Stirring gently twice.
You can also roast the nuts for about 15 minutes in the oven. Alternatively, pan fry in the oil required already for the recipe.
Try It? Leave A Review, Love To Hear Feedback! Or Tag Me On Instagram @some_indian_girl
Roasted Poha Chevdo
- 2 cups thin poha
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup peanuts
- ¼ cup cashew halves
- 4-5 curry leaves
- ⅛ tsp citric acid
- ⅛ cup dry coconut pieces optional
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp red chilli powder lal mirch
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp oil
- In Microwave: Microwave 1 cup of poha at a time for 1 minuteOn Stovetop: In a wide bottom pan, roast the poha on lowflame for about 2 minutes. Gently mix in between.
- If cashews and peanuts are not roasted, you can pan fry them in the 3 tbsp of oil needed for this recipe. Fry peanuts until they start to split and look brownish about a minute. Remove and put on paper towel. Cashews- fry until starts to look pinkish, just under a minute. Remove and place on paper towel.
- Using same oil from step 1, add chopped green chillies and mix. Add sesame seeds, once begin to lightly brown add chopped curry leaves.
- Add in poha. Mix well. Add in spices. Poha will become crisp.
- Add in peanuts, cashews, raisins and dried coconut pieces. Add sugar, salt, citric acid and mix. Enjoy! Let cool completely before storing in airtight container.