Easy Baked Samosa Recipe
A shortcut way to enjoy a popular treat, Jalapeno Cheddar Samosa recipe. This samosa uses puff pastry. So the samosas are baked, not deep fried. It also saves you the time of making the crust.
Jalapeno flavor is infused into the potato mix and also added as small pieces. Cheddar is added before baking because you can’t go wrong with some melted cheese in these!
Best part of baked samosa recipe
For me, the main reason is they are easier and not deep fried!
Baked samosa recipe using puff pastry
1. Cook the potatoes
I recommend using the microwave to cook the potatoes because it is quicker. If you steam boil the potatoes they absorb a lot of water and release starch. Then you will have to wait a few hours before cooking.
2. Making the jalapeno potato samosa filling
3. Making samosa shapes with puff pastry
Don’t forget to defrost your puff pastry! I prefer to move the puff pastry from the freezer to the fridge at night. Then I take it out of the fridge when I begin making the samosa potato filling.
4. Bake the samosas and make chutney
Here is a quick green coriander chutney recipe:
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 2 medium green chili peppers
- 3 tablespoons dessicated coconut (or you can replace with peanuts or dhalia)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Water to make desired thickness (start with 1/4 cup water)
Can you freeze samosa?
Yes, you can make ahead and freeze these. This baked samosa recipe is a perfect party food that you can prepare early.
Looking For Other Indian Fusion Recipes? Check Out:
Shop This Post Or Check Out Some Of My Faves!
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
Cheddar Jalapeno Samosa Recipe (Baked)
- nonstick pan
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 4 medium potatoes
- ¼ cup mint packed 1/4 cup, not packed 1/2 cup
- 1 inch ginger peeled
- 1/2 tsp fennel
- 1 tsp whole coriander seeds dhaniya
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 1½ tsp dhana jeeru (cumin coriander blend)
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 1½ tsp amchoor (mango powder)
- ½ tsp garlic
- 2 jalapeno
- ½ jalapeno chopped into small pieces and deseeded
- 1½ tbsp oil
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 sheets puff pastry defrosted, move from freezer to fridge overnight to defrost
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Cover each potato with a moist napkin. Pierce with fork 5 times on each side. Put in plate and microwave 10-12 minutes to cook. Let cool, peel and mash with potato masher.
- Meanwhile, blend mint, 2 jalapenos, ginger, whole coriander seeds (dhaniya) and fennel seeds with 2 tbsp water.
- Heat 1½ tbsp oil in a nonstick pan. Add spices and mix. Cook about 1 minute on medium-low
- Add the paste from step two to the pan. Mix and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add mashed potatoes to pan and mix thoroughly. Cook 2 -3 minutes. Turn off gas, set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 410F. Prepare puff pastry sheets. Unroll and lightly roll out the sheets. Use a 5 inch circle cutter to make circle cut outs. Cut each circle in half. Brush edges with heavy cream.
- Fill with potato filling, a few jalapeno pieces and cheddar cheese. Fold and press to seal. Brush with heavy cream to get a nice browned exterior when baking.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Fill with samosas and bake for 17-20 minutes. Until gold and crispy.