Oven roasted chana dal is a healthy, protein rich snack
Roasted chana dal is a crispy, spiced and salty snack. It is a bit addicting like potato chips!
Chana dal, also known as split Bengal gram, are protein rich beans. They make for a perfect snack with a satisfying crunch when roasted. While these are often sold as a fried snack, I like roasting them in the oven to make a healthy snack.
I cook the chana dal to a slightly over cooked consistency, toss in spices and then bake in the oven. The result is a crunchy snack without all the calories!
Easy, healthy snack
Chana dal are high in protein at about 21g per 100 grams serving.
Other uses for roasted chana dal
Roasted chana dal without spices can be also blended into a fine powder. As a result, you would get roasted chana dal powder. This can be used to add texture and flavor to dishes. Most commonly, I can think of it being added to chutneys.
You can use the same method outlined but skip adding spices if you are looking to make this.
How to roast chana dal at home
How are they roasted?Oven roasted! Cooked chana dal is dried after cooking, then coated in oil and spices. Then, roast in oven. Bake for 15 minutes then check the chana dal. Mix around the baking sheet and let continue roasting. Check again at 25 minute mark. It should be done at around this point. If not, keep an eye so they don’t burn. They will harden as they dry. So don’t be alarmed if not super crisp right away.
Two key points in making this snack:
- Cooking the chana dal well is important.
- Chana dal should not have a bite if you try one. A little more softer than usual allows for a softer crisp rather than a hard crunch.
- All ovens and altitudes we bake at are different so adjustments may be needed
- Keep an eye on the oven and make sure they do not get too dark. I have guidelines on the amount of time I needed. You may need to experiment and adjust according to your oven.
Here is a snapshot of the process:
Looking For Another Healthy Recipe? Check Out:
Samosadilla – Samosa in quesadilla form, not fried!
Shop This Post Or Check Out Some Of My Faves!
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
Roasted Chana Dal
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- intant pot or pot
- 1 cup chana dal cooked (in Instant Pot 12 minutes, on stovetop about 35-40 minutes)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp amchur
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- 1½ salt 1 tsp while cooking ½ tsp for spice mix
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- Rinse chana dal and drain
- Cook chana dal. If in Instant Pot, add 2.5 cups of water and 1 tsp salt, select High Pressure and cook for 12 minutes. Once done hit Cancel and do manual release of pressure. If stovetop, add 2.5 cup and 1 tsp salt. Bring to boil and simmer on medium-low for about 35 minutes. Chana dal should be a little more softer than usual so it does not get too hard when baking.
- Drain and put chana dal in bowl. Mix in spices and olive oil. Toss to cover.
- Preheat to 400F. Line sheet with parchment paper. Spread chana dal on sheet evenly.
- Bake for about 15 minutes and then open to mix dal around pan. After another 10 minutes check and move around with spoon. Around the 25-28 minute mark they will be done. Turn off. They will get more crisp as they cool the next few hours.
- Once completely cooled, enjoy! Note: I have noticed in instances when I thought they werent that crisp, they became crisper after cooling overnight. Every oven is different so you may need to keep a watch and adjust accordingly.
4 thoughts on “Roasted Chana Dal”
Used intstant pot method and worked lovely! Need healthy snax during quarantine
Great! Thank you!
Yum, great snack!