Originally Published January 9, 2020 Updated August 26, 2020
Aloo Tikki Burger
A play on aloo tikkis today with a sweet potato tikki burger similar to McAloo Tikki burgers! Aloo means burger in Hindi. Aloo tikkis are spiced potato patties. This is an easy 30-minute meal with a shortcut to cook the potato. I’ve used sweet potatoes but you can use any type of potato.
Aloo Tikki Burger inspired by McAloo Tikki Burgers
Living in Mumbai one of my guilty pleasures was going to to McDonald’s in Bandra for a McAloo Tikki Burger. This is a healthier version of the aloo tikki burger that uses sweet potatoes and can be made in under 30 minutes. The sweet potato plays well with the flavor of the spices. These burgers can also be used as part of meal prep or planning by making them ahead, wrapping in parchment paper and storing them for later.
This version of aloo tikki has potatoes, mixed veggies and spices. By using the microwave you can cut a lot of time off of the time needed for cooking the sweet potatoes. I used to avoid making burgers until I started this quicker way and realized how easy it can be.
How to make aloo tikki burgers at home
Aloo Tikki Burger – Sweet potato burger
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1 cup mixed veggies
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp lal mirch red chilli powder
- 2 tsp amchur mango powder
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 4 tbsp oil of choice for cooking I used avocado oil
- 8-10 curry leaves chopped optional
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs optional
- 4 burger buns
- 4 slices of cheese
- Lettuce onions and toppings as desired
- Wash sweet potatoes and dry with paper napkin. Use fork to “stab” potatoes 3 times on each side and then wrap within the same paper napkin used to dry it. Microwave for 2 minutes and 30 seconds on each side. Total 5 minutes. When you take out, potato skin will be soft and squishy to touch and inside will be cooked.
- Cut potatoes in half and scoop out inside with a spoon into a bowl.
- Add spices and mix well. Using hands really helps.
- Make patties of mixture in burger shape. Optionally either coat both sides in breadcrumbs by dipping patties in a bowl of breadcrumbs for additional crispiness.
- Heat 1/2- 1 tbsp of oil in a pan on the stove on medium-high. Cook patties on both sides until browned.