Easy recipe for chilli cheese toast
When I was living in Mumbai for work, this was a popular item that was available in my work cafe. Chilli cheese toast is a street food in India but also just a snack found in many restaurants. This is one of those foods that brings back memories for me, like Indian Chinese food such as Chilli Paneer Noodles. There are many variations. Some have simply chillies and cheese on toast. Others have some veggies combined with chilli and cheese.
With a few ingredients and a handful of spices you have a delicious toast ready! In Mumbai, I loved having it with my masala chai.
Why is this so good?
- Simple ingredients, big flavor
- Ready in 15-20 minutes
- Can sneak in veggies!
- Green chillies or jalapeno – this gives some of the chilli in the name chilli cheese toast!
- Onions – adds texture and flavor
- Tomatoes – rounds out flavor
- Bell pepper/capsicum – gives a nice little crunch
- Chaat masala – a blend of spices found at Indian stores or here
- Garlic powder – adds depth of flavor
- Chilli flakes – for extra kick
- Mozzarella – I most often use this, but I find pepper jack is also delicious!
How to make chilli cheese toast at home
- Prep veggies – finely chop/dice the vegetables. This is key for the flavor and mouth feel. It just tastes so good when all the small pieces mix well with the spices.
- Prepare cheese mixture – Mix shredded cheese, spices and diced vegetables in a bowl
- Butter toast – butter both sides of the bread slices
- Top bread slices – Add filling to all bread slices
- Bake – Arrange slices on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes until bread is toasted and cheese has melted
How to make chilli cheese toast without oven
You can easily make this with a tawa or pan on the stove. After buttering the bread slices toast on one side. Then, flip and add cheese mixture. If possible, use a pan that has a cover. You can then reduce the heat and cover the pan to encourage the cheese to melt quicker.
Looking For Other Easy Lunch Ideas? Check Out:
Chilli Cheese Toast
- pan or tawa (if making stovetop)
- baking sheet (if using oven)
- 2½ tbsp bell pepper diced small (capsicum)
- 2 tbsp tomato diced small
- 1½ tbsp onion finely diced
- ¼ tsp green chillies or jalapeno finely diced
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 slices bread
- Finely dice all vegetables
- Preheat oven to 375F. Mix cheese, vegetables and spices in a bowl.
- Spread butter on both slides of each slice of bread. Arrange on baking sheet.
- Top slices with cheese/vegetable mixture.
- Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes. Check at 8 minutes to ensure not too toasted for your liking. Serve hot!