Delicious cheesy samosa pie made with a ready made crust and authentic Indian flavors. Easy to make and share!
There are many types of samosas. While traditional samosas are usually deep fried, I love making baked samosas and even samosa quesadillas with flour tortillas. Using puff pastry you can easily make samosas in the shape of samosa pinwheels, a party ready pull apart samosa wreath or even filled with jalapeno cheddar potato filling!
Samosas can be dipped in a variety of chutneys or dipping sauces! During the fall season, I love to serve this with Cranberry Chutney, Apple Chutney or Apple Butter Chutney and Cilantro Chutney.
So, my version includes cilantro chutney on the inside baked with the samosa filling. This gives even more flavor to the bite! Usually, samosa is served with a sweet and savory chutney. So, for the holidays I used cranberry chutney. You can serve it with the more traditional tamarind date chutney (imli chutney) as well. I also have a tamarind sauce as an option.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Flavor packed samosa pie with samosa filling
- Party friendly – you can prep or make ahead
- Easy to make
- Vegetarian, with vegan and gluten-free options
See full list of ingredients below in recipe card. Key notes follow.
Asafetida (hing) – commonly used Indian spice. If you don’t have it on hand you can skip.
Mint – optional, but adds delicious flavor
Cilantro chutney – this chutney is usually served with samosas. I like to mix in a bit with the pie filling to ensure it does not get too dry while baking. Also, the baked in flavor of the chutney takes the pie to the next level. The recipe for cilantro chutney is here
Cheese – I used pepper jack cheese for added flavor. Feel free to use what you have on hand.
Pie crust – ready made pie crusts make this recipe easy. I used a based and pie topper from Wholly Wholesome (pictured below).
Make it Gluten free – Skip asafetida. Use ready made gluten free pie crust.
Make it Vegan – Substitute cheese for a plant based alternative. Make sure you buy vegan ready made pie crusts. Wholly Wholesome makes vegan pie crusts (pictured above).
Tip: Samosas are always a hit at parties for all age groups. You can make the filling and chutneys ahead of time, making this very easy to make the day of a party. Just make sure you let the filling come back to room temperature before baking.
Making Samosa Pie
Prepare the filling
Heat oil in pan in pan on medium-high. Once hot, add cumin seeds
Add potatoes and peas to pan, mix.
Add spices to pan. Mix well.
Add chopped mint leaves and mix. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
Turn off gas. Add lemon juice and mix.
Set aside to cool. I like to put half the lid on as pictured below. Let cool for about 30 minutes.
Assemble and bake the pie
Layer samosa pie filling and cheese in the pie. I did as follows: pie filling, cheese, pie filling, cheese and topped with remaining filling.
Using a brush, brush water along the edge of the pie.
Lay pie crust topping on top of pie.
Use a fork to press down around the edge and seal the pie.
Any excess crust on the outside edge can be cut or tucked and pressed under the edge.
Make 4 cut marks in the pie in the center. (Pictured above).
Brush pie top with heavy cream or whole milk.
Place in preheated oven and bake for about 40 minutes at 400F on the middle or lower rack.. Keep an eye around the 30 minute mark. If it looks like it is getting too brown, place foil on top.
Easy Cheesy Samosa Pie Recipe (Vegetarian)
- 1 pan
Samosa Pie Filling
- 4 medium potatoes 640g, peeled and chopped small
- 1 cup peas frozen, washed
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp asafetida (hing) skip if you don't have it
- 1 tbsp ginger (finely shredded) about 1½ inch ginger
- 4 cloves garlic 14g
- 1½ tsp cumin coriander powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup mint leaves packed, julienned
- 4 tbsp cilantro chutney
Making the pie
- 1 ready made pie crust base
- 1 ready made pie crust top
- shredded cheese I used pepper jack
- heavy cream for brushing pie top
Chutneys for serving (as per preference, usually a cilantro chutney and a sweet/tangy chutney such as tamarind, date or apple butter is served)
Samosa Pie Filling
- Heat oil in pan in pan on medium-high. Once hot, add cumin seeds
- Add potatoes and peas to pan, mix.
- Add spices to pan. Mix well.
- Add chopped mint leaves and mix. Turn off gas. Add lemon juice and mix. Set aside to cool.
Baking Samosa Pie
- Turn oven on to preheat at 400F.
- Mix cooled filling with cheese.
- Put mixture into ready made pie crust (make sure it has thawed per box instructions).
- Cover pie with ready made pie topper. Brush with heavy cream. Cut four slits on top.
- Set to bake in oven, middle rack. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Check in at 35 minutes.
- Serve with chutneys.