Spicy pasta al limone (spicy Lemon spaghetti) in 30 minutes!
Creamy, spicy lemon spaghetti is a quick fix for dinner. The simplicity of this dish is what makes it so great. I love pasta al limone with all of its flavors coming together so easily. I took the idea of pasta al limone and kicked it up a notch to make it a spicer spaghetti! It is made spicier with extra heat and inspiration for the dish taken from maala corn. So, this quick recipe is based on the idea of masala corn meeting spaghetti! It’s cheesy, lemony, with spices and basil to round out and freshen the dish.
You can choose to add additional spices to up the flavor profile or simply use extra red chili flakes to add heat. This recipe is adaptable and can easily be made vegan.
What is masala corn?
Masala corn is offered at theaters throughout India. It is boiled corn kernels with butter, salt and spices. Grilled masala corn is corn that is spiced with red chili powder, salt, chaat masala and lemon juice. This dish takes inspiration from the above two types of yummy corn!
Ingredients to make spicy pasta al limone
- Spaghetti – you can substitute any type of pasta
- Lemon juice – fresh squeezed
- Heavy cream
- Frozen corn
- Red chili powder (lal mirchi)
- Basil – fresh chopped basil is best, but can substitute 1 tsp of crushed basil powder
- Salt, red chili flakes, chaat masala and black pepper
- Optional: 2 tsp of lemon zest for deeper lemon flavor (add to heavy cream sauce)
How to make spicy pasta al limone?
Substitutions for heavy cream
I have a few options to skip heavy cream in pasta al limone:
- Skip the heavy cream altogether! You can do no wrong with pasta, cheese, spices and butter!
- Use whole milk instead of heavy cream (ensure to simmer to desired consistency)
Two options to make spicy pasta limone vegan
- Substitute coconut milk for heavy cream. Full fat coconut milk would work best.
- Skip heavy cream and substitute butter for Earth Balance or butter substitute of choice
Everyone’s tolerance for spice is different
I love food on the spicier side. Use less red chili flakes in the sauce or omit. I added extra!
What’s your favorite pasta? This has become one of our favorites!
Looking For Other Indian Fusion dishes?
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
Spicy Pasta al Limone
- 8 oz spaghetti
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan plus extra for topping
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder lal mirch
- ½ cup basil chopped
- 1/2 tsp Red chili flakes plus extra for topping
- 2 tsp Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp chaat masala optional
- Cook spaghetti until al dente per box instructions. (Boil for 1-2 minutes less than outlined for al dente and add 1 tsp salt to water). Keep 1/2 cup of the pasta water and drain spaghetti in colander.
- While spaghetti is cooking add frozen corn to a bowl with 3 tablespoon water. Cover and microwavefor 1 minute. Corn should be cooked – uncover and add 1 tbsp butter, red chilli powder (lal mirch), chaat masala and oregano. Mix and set aside.
- Heat heavy cream, 2 tbsp butter and red chili flakes in pan on medium untill simmering about 3 minutes (stir). Add in reserved pasta water and turn off stove.
- Add spaghetti noodles to sauce
- Add in parmesan cheese and use tongs to mix. The cheese will melt and form creamy sauce.
- Add masala corn to spahetti
- Mix and add in basil and mix. Top with extra parmesan, black pepper, red chili flakes and salt to taste.