Popular, traditional Gujarati khichu Recipe
The easiest snack, Gujarati khichu. So, I say khichu, do you say papdi no lot? A traditional dish, khichu is called by different names dependent on what part of Gujarat you/your family are from. It is a very simple dish to make with easy to find ingredients. It delivers such yummy flavor and it is one of those dishes you won’t easily find in the usual Indian restaurants that serve very heavy North Indian food.
What is khichu?
It is a dish made of rice flour and spices. This is served hot and drizzled with a little oil. Then, this is then topped with a red masala (spice), called methi masala (link to recipe here). It is also known as methiya masala or achar masala. It is so good, there is a reason why it is so popular amongst Gujaratis!
Why make khichu?
- It is so quick to make
- Filling dish with lots of flavor
- Made with simple ingredients
- Get a taste of a popular, traditional Gujarati dish!
- Rice flour
- Green chillies
- Cumin powder
- Methi masala
Tips for easy khichu
One of the toughest parts of making this can be getting a smooth consistency of the rice flour mixture. Usually, people prep the spicy water and add rice flour to that same pot. My mom’s trick is simply pour the heated spicy water into a separate pot with the rice flour in it. It helps to combine the two way more easily.
Making Khichu / Papdi no lot
how to make khichu in microwave
- Mix water, salt, cumin powder, oil and green chillies in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave the water for 4 minutes until it is very hot.
- Pour the hot water on top of the rice flour in another microwave safe bowl. Mix with a velan to break apart clumps.
- Microwave for 2 more minutes and emjoy.
Is papdi no lot healthy
This is considered a light snack. It is easy to digest, low in saturated fat and cholesterol. However, it is important to note, papdi no lot is made mostly of rice flour which is a high glycemic food. Looking up the nutritional facts dependent on your diet is important. Here is a helpful article.
Looking For Other Traditional Indian Food? Check Out:
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
Gujarati Khichu Recipe – Papdi No Lot
- 2 pots
- 1 cup rice flour
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp green chillies crushed/blended
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- Heat water, green chillies, cumin powder, salt, oil in a pot. Bring to boil.
- Prepare another pot and add the rice flour to it. Keep velan (Indian rolling pin) ready for mixing.
- Pour boiling hot water into pot with rice flour in it. Quickly mix in circular and side to side motion to mix. Break apart any clumps while stirring.
- In 3-4 minutes, the mixture comes together and begins to pull away from side. Keep on medium heat and cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve khicu with methi masala (link in notes) and a little oil. Optionally add chopped coriander, garlic oil or other flavors!
5 thoughts on “Gujarati Khichu Recipe – Papdi no lot”
Loved it thank you
Glad to hear!
I made it and it turned out really nice. My family really liked it. Thanks!
So happy to hear! Thanks for letting me know, Shivangi 🙂
Turned out so yum!