Tofu bhurji is the vegan version of anda bhurji. Anda means egg and bhurji means scrambled so it is similar to scrambled eggs, but scrambled tofu Indian style! Paneer Bhurji is the vegetarian version of egg bhurji.
You get protein from spiced tofu with bell peppers, tomatoes, onions and good-for-you spices. Tofu makes a great vegan substitute for paneer.
Bhurji tastes great on toast or as a sandwich for lunch. For dinner’s main dish or lunch, you could also serve this with Indian breads such as roti, parantha, or as a wrap. You can also serve the bhurji as a side dish. It is super versatile and an easy meal when you need a quick meal.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Vegetarian and vegan
- A quick and satisfying dish
- Easy hearty breakfast with an Indian breakfast scramble
- One of the easiest vegan tofu scramble recipes
- Tofu: Well-drained, extra-firm tofu works great. The type of tofu I love using is the Wildwood brand in the US as it is high protein. Make sure to drain to remove excess moisture.
- Fresh ingredients: Tomatoes, onion (I like red onions), garlic, green chilies
- Spices: Cumin seeds, turmeric, salt, red chili powder, garam masala powder, cumin-coriander powder, turmeric powder and Kasuri methi
- Neutral oil: any can work
- Optional: Chop and top the bhurji with fresh coriander leaves
Note you can use ginger garlic paste if you want extra flavor from ginger.
Getting that scrambled egg taste: Add kala namak or black salt to get a little of that eggy taste in. Add nutritional yeast for a boost of protein and cheesy vegan flavor.
How to Make
This recipe could not be any easier!
Finely chop the tomatoes, red onions, and green chilies for the best taste.
Mash the paneer into crumbles. I find using my hands is the best way to crumble the tofu into pieces. You can also use a potato masher.
- Heat oil on medium heat and add cumin seeds
- Add in onion, green chilies, garlic cloves, and tomatoes.
- Once tomatoes begin to soften, add in crumbled paneer and spices.
- Mix and cook for a short time and you are ready to eat!
Important Tip: Mise en place always makes cooking easier. This means just having everything chopped and measured out ahead of time. It makes the cooking process even quicker for already easy recipes.
- Vegetables: Mix up the veggies! I like to use veggies that I need to use up in here. Green peas and corn would taste great. Add spinach for palak paneer bhurji!
Crunchy vegetables add a nice bite to the dish.
- Spices: Change up the usual ground Indian spices Adding in a spoon of pav bhaji masala is a great way to change up the taste.
- Cheese: Add in a sprinkle of melty cheese like cheddar cheese or pepper jack.
- Zing: Give it a small teaspoon of lemon juice for added tang.
- Layer it on bread: Use bread slices/bread rolls toasted with chutney for an on-the-go meal. Drizzle some hot sauce on top!
- For kids: Reduce the amount of red chili powder.
- Jain friendly: You can make the paneer bhurji without onion and garlic if you prefer
Serve tofu bhurji with any Indian bread. You can also serve with toasted bread as part of a main course or a hearty breakfast.
Use tofu bhurji to make a delicious Bhurji Sandwich or Toast.
Another easy idea is to serve as a wrap or a roll.
10 Minute Easy Tofu Bhurji Recipe
- 1 pan I use non-stick
- Mixing spoon
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ medium onion 70g
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup tomato 1 roma tomato, 70g
- 2 cups tofu (crumbled) extra firm, drained and crumbled
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin coriander powder dhana jeeru
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder lal mirch
- ¼ tsp black salt or kala namak optional, gives eggy taste (reduce salt by ¼ tsp if you use this)
- Prep: Drain and remove excess water from tofu. Crumble into pieces with hands or using potato masher.Chop veggies finely
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let sizzle.
- Add onion and green chillies to pan. Cook about 3 mintues until onions start to become translucent.
- Add in chopped garlic. Mix and let cook 1 minute.
- Add in tomatoes. Mix well and cook 1 minute.
- Add in tofu and spices. Mix well and cook 2 minutes.
- Serve paneer bhurji. Optionally top with chopped coriander.