Paneer Bhurji Sandwich is a tasty, simple paneer sandwich with veggies, chutney and spices.
This can be served as a light lunch or snack. It can be easily taken to work or added to kids’ lunch box.
It is easy to make. Great way to use leftover Paneer Bhurji which can also be served with roti or paratha as a meal or dinner. You’ll love this paneer bhurji sandwich recipe.
Just like Chili Cheese Toast, it is easy to make!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Ready in a few minutes
- Perfect for quick breakfast, lunch, or snack.
- A quick and satisfying dish
- Can be made vegan with crumbled tofu (Tofu Bhurji)
- Paneer: Crumbled paneer is used. You can easily make homemade paneer in an Instant Pot or use store-bought paneer
- Fresh ingredients: Tomatoes, onion (I like red onions), garlic, green chilies
- Spices: Cumin seeds, turmeric, salt, red chili powder, garam masala powder, cumin-coriander, and Kasuri methi
- Neutral oil: this is used to temper spice at the beginning of the recipe
- Optional: Chop and top the bhurji with fresh coriander leaves
Bread – Any bread or roll works for this. Multigrain bread, whole wheat bread, or sprouted grain bread are all great choices.
Paneer or Tofu to make Paneer Bhurji or Tofu Bhurji – this takes 10 minutes to make. You’ll need: paneer
Veggies – I like using tomato slices and onions. You can also add bell peppers (capsicum), avocado, corn, spinach, and other veggies/greens you have on hand.
Cilantro chutney – this adds a delicious flavor and it is an easy chutney to make.
Chaat masala – adds a delicious depth of flavor
Other commonly used Indian spices are used such as turmeric powder,
Hot sauce – optional, I use a few drops to give a little kick. You can substitute red chili flakes too.
You can also use tomato ketchup and mayonnaise in addition to green chutney.
Paneer is a type of cheese used very often in Indian cooking, primarily North Indian dishes, and found in some of the most popular dishes in Indian restaurants. Fresh homemade paneer is easy to make and can be made even in an Instant Pot. It is often referred to as Indian cottage cheese, however, cottage cheese is not a good substitute for paneer.
Add mozzarella cheese
Use a sandwich toaster or sandwich maker
For more spice, add additional green chilies or red chili flakes
Skip chopped onions, and garlic to make Jain friendly
Change up the veggies: add red bell peppers, corn, or spinach for a variety
Finely chop the tomatoes, red onion, and green chilies for the best taste.
Mash the paneer into crumbles. I find using my hands is the best way to crumble the paneer into pieces.
- Heat oil on medium heat and add cumin seeds
- Add in onion, green chilies, garlic cloves, and tomatoes.
- Once tomatoes begin to soften, add in crumbled paneer, coriander leaves, and spice powders. The Paneer mixture is ready.
Making the sandwich
Toast two slices of bread, optionally with butter.
Spread Cilantro Chutney on bread slices
Top with tomato and onion slices
Sprinkle with chaat masala
Top with 1-2 spoonfuls of paneer bhurji
Sprinkle hot sauce
Quick Paneer Bhurji Sandwich or Toast
- 1 pan I use non-stick
- Mixing spoon
- ½ tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ medium onion 70g
- ½ green chilli chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup tomato 35g
- 1 cup paneer (crumbled) 228g paneer, 4oz
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin coriander powder dhana jeeru
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp kasuri methi
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp red chilli powder lal mirch
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let sizzle.
- Add onion and green chillies to pan. Cook about 3 mintues until onions start to become translucent.
- Add in chopped garlic. Mix and let cook 1 minute.
- Add in tomatoes. Mix well and cook 1 minute.
- Add in paneer and spices. Mix well and cook 2 minutes.
- Serve paneer bhurji. Optionally top with chopped coriander.
- Toast slices of bread, optionally with butter.
- Spread Cilantro Chutney on bread slices.
- Top with tomato and onion slices and sprinkle with chaat masala.
- Top with 1-2 spoonfuls of paneer bhurji. Sprinkle hot sauce and top with other slice of bread.