Healthy Alternative to Rice, Quinoa Kheer
Ingredients for quinoa kheer
- Slivered almonds
- Strawberries – optional
How to Make Quinoa Kheer
There are two options to cook the kheer:
- Pressure cooker
To cook on stovetop, add cooked quinoa to the ghee. Add milk and let boil until it thickens. Then add sugar, cardamom and slivered almonds.
For cooking in the pressure cooker, you will add all ingredients in the pot. Cover and cook until 1st whistle. Then, wait additional one minute longer before opening.
Looking For Other Indian Fusion Dishes?
Shop This Post Or Check Out Some Of My Faves!
Try it? Leave a review, love to hear feedback! Or tag me on Instagram @some_indian_girl
- 1 1/4 cup quinoa
- 7 cups milk I used 2%
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cardamom
- 10 almonds slivered
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 8 strawberries optional
- Cook quinoa in 2 cups milk: In pressure cooker – for 10 minutes (until 1st whistle, then cook 1 minute longer). On stovetop – on medium boil for 10-15 minutes
- Heat ghee in separate pot and add cooked quinoa. Let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in 5 cups milk let it boil for 2-3 minutes. Then add sugar and cardamom. Let boil on low-medium for 10-15 minutes until mixture is a thicker consistency.
- Add slivered almonds and mix. Turn off heat.
- Optional – Puree strawberries adding in a tbsp of water as needed to help blend. Top or mix into kheer for a strawberry swirl.